LR4 sending wrong format file to CS6. Picture attached.

<p>Now what I like to do is what Andrew recommended, and that is delete the preferences folder. I went to lightroom, preferences and under the presets tab click on show lightroom presets folder and got this...<br>

Now, can someone tell me which one is the folder that I need to delete? there are about 19 folders there. <br>

Thanks again<br>

Alex</p>

<p>Can you entertain me Alex and open Bridge, then double click on a raw file to open, and in the ACR dialogue box, (looks like this http://my3boybarians.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/acr-screencap.jpg)</p>

<p>and at the bottom of the dialogue box you will see in blue clickable text, the settings that you have that are applied when you open your raw in PS. The above example link shows Adobe RGB, 8 bit, 300ppi. What is your set at? </p>

<p>Problem solved.<br>

Eric. I didn't think of Bridge. When I opened an image it did show Above RGB 1998 and it opened in Photoshop as such. Then I changed the color space to open in photoshop as sRGB, opened a file from Bridge and then it opened as sRGB on photoshop. After that I open Lightroom and send a picture to Photoshop and yes... it did opened the file as sRGB which was the Bridge setting. Thanks Eric</p>

<p>Andrew. Two things for you.<br>

1) I could be being over run by technology or this new Macworld did not sink on my head yet but I have no clue where my user "library delete" resides on my Mac or what it is. Then the </p>

<p>com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist<br />com.adobe.Lightroom5.LSSharedFileList.plist<br>

Got me totally of guard. I'd love to understand where in my hard drive that is and how to get there.<br>

2) I was quite impress by your video and I like to give one more try to the larger color spaces. If you don't mind I like to walk you through what I thought I was supposed to do and my failed result.<br>

I got the costco profiles from dry creek and installed them on cs4 at the time. I migrated a raw file into cs4 as (either profoto rgb or Adove RGB) I can't recall which one, made whatever corrections I thought necessary and when I was happy with it I went to edit, an I try both, convert to profile and assign profile (you can go over the differences if you don't mind) and made the conversion to the costco profile on the drop down menu. When I did that the blacks with details turn into a muddy thing and everything shifted pretty bad (primarily dark colors and shadow areas) and the prints look like that as well. Then I also tried different rendering intents but they did not look any better. <br>

I could try to recreate and show you what I mean. <br>

Now, you may be able to share what needs to be done so if I send a file to adorama pix or costco or I print it at home (epson all in one 830) I can get a better looking print than the smaller sRGB file would give me.<br>

Oh, las thing. when one applies an output profile to the picture. Lets say I work the image in profoto color space, then, I assign or convert it to whatever output profile, the last step is to save the file. At that point would you normally save it as a jpeg? What settings would you save it as?<br>

Thanks for you patience and sharing info.<br>

Regards,<br>

Alex </p>

<blockquote>

<p>1) I could be being over run by technology or this new Macworld did not sink on my head yet but I have no clue where my user "library delete" resides on my Mac or what it is.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hold down the Alt (Option) key when using the Go menu in the Finder. The user library folder is listed below the current users home directory. That is your <strong>user</strong> library as OSX is a multiuser OS. There's also the main '<strong>system</strong>' library which you can stay away from for now. In OSX 10.7, Apple hid the user library which is kind of dumb.</p>

<p>Now I don't think the problem is actually solved and here's why. When you invoke the <em>Edit in Photoshop</em> command, LR hands off the raw and instructions to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to do the rendering. You don't see this, you just see Photoshop open with your image. This can present a problem if your copy of Photoshop is older than the copy of Lightroom. IOW, for <em>Edit in Photoshop</em> to work, both Photoshop and LR have to be on version parity. You have Photoshop CS6 and LR4 right? Those two are on version parity. But here's the catch. You should be able to use ACR and have it's workflow options (color space, bit depth, size) set one way, use it as you desire and still have LR call to it and set it as you configured in LR. That's not working and it should! This way you could use ACR with say ProPhoto RGB/16 bit and LR set differently. <br /> IF you upgrade to LR5 without upgrading to Photoshop CC, the two are not on version parity! You will have an old version of ACR from CS6 and LR can't call that version and use the newer functionality, it will pop a warning. You can go ahead and process without the newer LR5 features or you can use the Export command I suggested in my first post, that tells LR to render the data using it's engine, not ACR. So you kind of want to clear up why LR and Photoshop are not communicating correctly.<br>

<br /> If you do as suggested above and end up in your user library, you'll find a folder called <em>Preferences</em> filled with, well preferences. The LR preference's are in there as are those for ACR. What you might do is move them to the desktop while neither Photoshop or LR is running. Then open Photoshop and from within, open a raw file to call up ACR. Set it for something different than what you want from LR. Be sure to actually set it and open a raw to make that stick and build a new preference. You don't have to save the rendered raw (close, don't save). Quit Photoshop. Open Lightroom and check the <em>Edit In</em> preferences and set them as you desire. Now you should be able to use those settings, different from ACR and both should be honored when you use either. If that works, you can trash the old preferences.<br>

I'll address you color questions next.</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>I thought necessary and when I was happy with it I went to edit, an I try both, convert to profile and assign profile (you can go over the differences if you don't mind)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's a <strong>significant</strong> difference! This video should cover the differences: http://digitaldog.net/files/Photoshop_Color_Settings.mov<br>

Or if you prefer a read:<br>

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200407_rodneycm.pdf<br>

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200406_rodneycm.pdf</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I assign or convert it to whatever output profile, the last step is to save the file. At that point would you normally save it as a jpeg?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You convert, not assign! You save whatever format the lab can accept. You also need to understand soft proofing if you're going to use profiles to their fullest. Can be done in Lightroom which for a number of reasons is preferable to Photoshop. Not sure we're ready for that (don't want to overload you). Better first to get this Lightroom and Photoshop dance issue corrected. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Well I finally found it. I deleted the two folders and when I open LR4 it prompted me to click on import. Which I did, I selected my folder with the 2013 pictures and now it's importing thousands of images.<br>

Am I creating a new catalog? I think I am.<br>

These are the 2 folders (i moved them into my desk top) see image at the bottom.<br>

Are these the ones you suggested?<br>

Now when I open LR4 I have the new catalog call Lightroom 4 Lightroom.lrcat with all the images of 2013 and when I click control E to send the image to photoshop cc it opens it with the Adobe Bridge options.<br>

After that I went to file/open catalog and loaded a catalog I had saved when I migrated all the files from my Dell to this new iMac, and same thing happened.<br>

I guess I run out of ideas but I gained some new knowledge about catalogs.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>These are the 2 <strong>folders</strong> (i moved them into my desk top) see image at the bottom.<br />Are these the ones you suggested?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You want individual preference files. I see those in your screen capture, they are NOT folders. <br>

com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist<br />com.adobe.Lightroom5.LSSharedFileList.plist</p>

<p>You should not be making a new catalog but by moving the preferences, LR will ask you the location of your catalog. That's normal. It stores that location and other stuff in the preference so it will ask. Just navigate to where you store your catalog on the HD. Or even make a new catalog, import one image, setup your preferences and see how the Edit in Photoshop command works. <br>

Here is what I did: Open LR5, change the External Editor preferences, quit LR. I can see this is the file that got updated: com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist<br>

Your's may be the same but with 4 in the name since you're not using LR5. </p>

<p>The other thing I did was setup Apple's Preview as an external editor and you can do the same for testing. I set it as I desire and used the command to Edit with that instead of Photoshop. And as expected, I get the image in the color space I selected in the preferences. You should as well. I'd test this so we can be sure that indeed, the preferences are honoring what we ask for. If this still doesn't work with Photoshop, we know where to look next (something to do with Photoshop/ACR). </p>

<p>well here is my progress report. <br>

Just to make sure I was starting with a clean sleeve I deleted the file once again (I said the file because this time I only could find the com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist and not the other one) perhaps because was a new library or just because. In any case I got rid of the document and started LR4 it then prompted me to import photos, "I opened the catalog I wanted" went to LR preferences and changed the settings on the external editors and also changed Bridge to pro photo. Closed LR4 and reopened, right click on an image, open in "and choose Apple's preview as you suggested " and it did open in the Apple preview. So far so good. Now, control E or right click and edit in Photoshop cc will continue open the file as Adobe RGB 1998, and when I go to Bridge and select sRGB it will then work. <br>

This leads me to believe that at this point it is Bridge the one directing the orchestra and for that reason for now I let Bridge set at sRGB until I figure what it the deal with LR4, or upgrade to LR5 or just adopt this as part of the work flow.<br>

BTW Happy 4th of July. I hope you had a great day.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I said the file because this time <strong>I only could find the com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist</strong> and not the other one</p>

</blockquote>

<p>LR5 plist? I thought you were working in LR4, confused. This can make a big difference! If you have Photoshop CS6 and LR5, there's a mismatch in version parity. If you have CC and LR5, those two are on parity. LR4+CC, mismatch you should get an error dialog asking if you want to continue (the color space's should be honored in any case).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This leads me to believe that at this point it is Bridge the one directing the orchestra and for that reason for now I let Bridge set at sRGB until I figure what it the deal with LR4, or upgrade to LR5 or just adopt this as part of the work flow.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's still <strong>not</strong> the correct behavior. Each app should honor whatever setting is used for ACR or LR. In fact, you can actually run ACR in Bridge and Photoshop <strong>at the same time</strong>, each one working on a different raw with different settings (when so set)! Bridge should not in any way be altering what LR does in it's preferences. IOW, Bridge or Photoshop can be set for ProPhoto RGB and LR for sRGB and that's exactly what you should be getting. <br /> I set LR's preferences to sRGB/8-bit. I set ACR hosted in Photoshop for ProPhoto RGB/16-bit. When I select <em>Edit In Photoshop</em> in LR, I get what I asked for, when I open a raw from within Photoshop, the workflow settings are set as I expected, <strong>both are different from each other and that's the expected behavior</strong>. I open a raw from Bridge and select Apple RGB, open the raw, that's what I get. Go back to Photoshop, open a raw it does use the last setting applied from Bridge which is now hosting ACR. That's the correct behavior: you can and should bounce back and forth from Bridge or Photoshop using ACR and that workflow setting '<em>sticks</em>' but it has no bearing on what you set in LR. You should be able to set ACR in either Bridge or Photoshop for setting A. Use LR with setting B. You should be able to set ACR in either Bridge or Photoshop and neither should have any affect on LR's settings.</p>

<p>my bad. I did put com.adobe.lightroom5.plist but I am running LR4 and adobe photoshop CC.<br>

I haven't much time to play with it and this weekend will be busy at work to do anything with it. I should have some sort of a bug with either photoshop or LR. I the meanwhile I guess i'm aware of it and how to work around it. <br>

I do like to eventually correct the issue and become more comfortable working with different color spaces, soft proofing and converting to different profiles for print work.</p>

<p>Hey Alex, I just came across this on John Nack's forum</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Martin Evening has updated his popular Photoshop CC for Photographers title with a free new PDF that goes into detail on CMYK proofing, proofing with Smart Objects, and more.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><a href="http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscc/downloads/Photoshop%20CC_ACR8-1.pdf">http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/pscc/downloads/Photoshop%20CC_ACR8-1.pdf</a><br>

Hope it helps. </p>