Does anyone need a complete set of drop in filters?

mark_stephan2

<p>What's the value of a LN complete set of drop in filters? The filters came with my FD 300 f/2.8. I kept the filters when I sold the lens since my FDn 300 f/4L, 400 f/4.5 and 500 f/8 mirror lenses use the same filters? Since I don't use them I'd like to sell them but can't find anything on eBay regarding value. I've wathched auctions for the past year and I've yet to see any. I also check KEH from time to time but they don't seem to carry them.</p>

<p>Are these the 30.5mm drop-in filters?<br /> What specifically, UV, neutral density?</p>

<p>No-name filters of this kind are available post-paid from China for about $2.50 for 1 filter <a href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=30.5mm+lens+filter&_sop=15">link</a><br /> Actual Canon make would presumably be worth a little more, but you don't have a treasure trove.</p>

<p>Don't sell the UV filter! you want that in the optical path at all times when no other filter is in place for the lenses you are keeping. I sold a newish set a few years ago (less the UV) for around $75 on eBay. Hard to find item as you've discovered.</p>

<p>A reminder, if you need a UV lens (or any other) : You can always use a spare drop-in frame to replace it's 34mm Canon filter with a Tiffin 37mm lens, minus the frame. It fits loosely but I temporarily "solidified" mine with a very small drop of rubber cement along the frame. If you are cannibalizing a good lens for this, save it securely. This hack require zero mechanical skills, just a bit of patience.</p>

<p>All my mirror lenses with rear-mounted filters use 30.5mm.</p>

<p>It is true for many of these lenses that some filter, normally the UV or plain, should be used at all times for maximum quality.</p>

<p>Amazon, Adorama, and I am sure more, sell Tiffin 34mm UV filters starting at $6. Hoya 3-filter 34mm set sells at B&H for about $50.</p>

<p>On two of my lenses, both with rear mounted filters, a filter is supposed be installed at all times. These are the 25mm RE-Auto Topcor and the Vivitar Series 1 600mm Solid Cat. From what I gather, the filter was taken into account in the designs of these lenses. Even though the filter is just optical glass and not a lens, it still refracts light, resulting in a small amount of chromatic aberration and focus shift. The types of glass and lens curvature in the other elements of the lenses were selected, I presume, to correct for the aberrations introduced by the filter.</p>

• 2 months later...