Focus Canon 5D 3

guy_mercier

<p>Hi !<br>

I just came back from a trip to Germany and took a lot of great photos with my camera and a 14 mm and a 70-200 mm lens.<br>

I took pictures of my fellow travellers at dusk with my 70-200 with the aperture at 2,8. I had to use that aperture considering the light conditions.<br>

When taking photos of a couple, if I focused on one person, I could not get my camera to stay focused on both persons. If I focused in between the persons, they were both out of focus.<br>

I took a lot of photos of different couples and when they were close enough, my photos were not so bad.<br>

Any ideas or tips ?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>When taking photos of a couple, if I focused on one person, I could not get my camera to stay focused on both persons. If I focused in between the persons, they were both out of focus.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Just think it through. If the two subjects are different distances away, NO camera is going to be able to have them both in focus. And when you focus on a point between them, the camera's focusing on something, at some distance, more than likely not the same distance either of your subjects are at.</p>

<p>If you can't pose your subjects, say reposition them to be the same distance away, then try manual focus. Just turn the barrel until both subjects are reasonably in focus. Couple this with the smallest aperture you can practically use, to improve depth of focus. Keep in mind the preview you're seeing is with the aperture wide-open, and depth of focus will improve when the lens stops down to the aperture you're using.</p>

<p>Something that makes manual focus more convenient is to <em>remap</em> the focus, so that half-depress of shutter does <em>not</em> activate auto-focus, instead you might assign the * button to this function. Then you're not forced to autofocus with each shutter depression.</p>

<p>Alternately, just switch off the auto-focus switch on the lens barrel.</p>

<p>I would also advice you to use a higher iso and close the aperture a bit. I have and Eos 5d3 and the higher iso's are quite clean and very well useable. the photo in the link below was recently made at 800 iso with a 90mm TS-E lens af f/4. When I look at the raw file there is not a trace of noise to be seen and if you told me it was shot at 100 iso, I would believe it also.<br>

<a href="http://frankbunnik.zenfolio.com/p977299142/h60f220e6#h60f220e6">http://frankbunnik.zenfolio.com/p977299142/h60f220e6#h60f220e6</a></p>