Kodak 39mp or Dalsa 33mp chip?

<p>I am using Contax 645 with Imacon 528c now, primarily because of the back's multishot capabilities which is first priority for what I do... Bought a D800E to use outside the studio because the 528c is not flexible to use in single-shot due to its image bank and cable, but I am not fully satisfied on how the files look when compared to the Contax/MFDB combination... So I am looking to add a S/H single shot back with either the Kodak 39mp sensor or the Dalsa 33mp sensor to improve moire over the 22mp backs... Main aspects of consideration are 1.Usable Iso performance, DR and natural color balance... sharpness and resolution is less vital. Any feedback based on user experience will be highly appreciated. Thank you, Theodoros http://www.fotometria.gr</p>

<p>I'd highly recommend you try out each back before a purchase like this. Colour correctness is hard to judge from photos and second hand accounts. What I can say is that I've heard a lot of good things about Kodak backs, especially in the dynamic range and usable ISO range.</p>

<p>That said, I'm primarily a film shooter so I can't be of much help here.</p>

<p>It's not easy to have a direct comparison where I live John, I have tried P45+ on my camera on M645 and on Hass H, P65+ on M645, Sinar emotion75 on HY6, (same sensor but teathered) Sinar 75h on Sinar P3 and Hasselblad H, then almost all the "fat pixel" 22mp backs with both Dalsa and Kodak sensor... on most modern or classic MF cameras. In my experience Dalsa has more natural color and little more usable DR, while Kodak is more saturated and with (much) better Iso performance... but that was with the 22mpx backs, the Dalsa 33mp sensor seemed to retain the color lead from the Kodak sensor, but also seems to have much improved ISO from the smaller Dalsa chip... It's difficult to judge from different cameras and from different conditions... so I guess that others experience can be helpful, even if it's from one side only, I can judge and "weight" the answer accordingly and adapt it to my experience (as is described above)...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So I am looking to add a S/H single shot back with either the Kodak 39mp sensor or the Dalsa 33mp sensor to improve moire over the 22mp backs... Main aspects of consideration are 1.Usable Iso performance, DR and natural color balance... sharpness and resolution is less vital.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I cannot offer user experience of those particular sensors, but I have studied the MFD market extensively and in particular the performance parameters of the sensors.</p>

<p>Only Phase One and Hasselblad have used the Kodak 39MP sensor...and of those you are only likely to find a Phase One (P45, or later P45+) back to fit your Contax. The Hasselblad CF39 and its accompanying Contax i-Adaptor are extremely rare, from what I can tell.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, only Leaf and Sinar have used the Dalsa 33MP sensor...you have the choice of the Leaf (Aptus 75, or later Aptus II-7) or the Sinar eMotion 75.</p>

<p>The Kodak 39MP will have a very slight edge on moire due to its slightly smaller pixels (6.8 microns vs 7.2 microns).</p>

<p>Based on their respective datasheets, the Kodak should have better dynamic range too (11.9 stops vs. 11.4 stops).</p>

<p>The Kodak will be *much* better at long exposures...even the original P45; the P45+ will be far better again.</p>

<p>As far as ISO goes, all these backs have a base ISO of 50...everything beyond that is just underexposing and pushing to compensate in post processing. So they should be tied really. But the Kodak does have slightly higher quantum efficiency and slightly lower readout noise, so it would have a slight margin at all ISOs.</p>

<p>The Dalsa backs should have faster frame-rates...still slower than 1 fps though!</p>

<p>So if it were me - I would be buying another Kodak-sensored back.</p>

<p>But people do rave about the Dalsa sensors' colour response and how they handle skin tones...that would be the main reason to choose Dalsa in my view.</p>

<p>Thanks Ray, I also had more or less the same idea on how things are, this impression was out of reading reviews and discussions on forums, but then, there are a few things that led me to doubt some of those widely spread opinions... 1. When I used an emotion 22 (yes the one before 54lv), it seemed that if files where processed on a certain way, i.e. export the files in DNG from "Sinar captureshop" with only microadjustment of exposure to optimum... and then process the DNG files with the latest CR or LR, the Dynamic range (especially if one aims for a natural looking picture) seemed much better than anything else (inc. my D800) but my multishot back used in multishot.... 2. The Dalsa sensor seemed to have a basic Iso value near to 100... the 75LV I tried with HY6 had that basic iso (the e22 also was updated to 50 as basic ISO) and the exposure and DR seemed much improved than if one was overexposing the sensor (just to test its previous behavior), so it may be that the Dalsa sensor is actually ahead in noise... well the 75LV looked marvelous with the HY6 at 400 Iso.<br>

As far as moire goes, this I don't take in mind at all on the particular sensors, because out of what I've tried they both seemed to be miles ahead of the 22 "fat pixel" backs and I believe both surpass my criteria... Let's hope others will contribute on the subject (hopefully ones that are quite experienced on long term use of these sensors) so that I can have an as safe as possible decision... I have to say though, that currently I am yielding slightly more towards the Dalsa sensor due to what I state above.<br>

Oh, by the way, the CF39 would be no problem for me.... I own the 528c remember? ...they share the same adapter! ...especially if I could have a CF39ms it would be perfect, I could avoid a future back up for my 528c which is absolutely essential for what I do. Regards, Theodoros. http://www.fotometria.gr </p>