Photo Jobs in San Francisco and Kansas City

<p>Last month I posted a job that had crossed my desk for a photographer at SFMOMA <a href="/casual-conversations-forum/00bjRA">here</a>. I recently got a repost notice <a href="http://famsf.snaphire.com/jobdetails?ajid=JcLu7">HERE</a>. It appears they have loosened their rather stringent specifications for education and experience to perhaps get a wider candidate pool. In any event, the new posting is much more detailed and includes salary information should anyone out there be qualified and interested. $4K/month with full benefits. Not high living in the Bay area but good steady work. Closes Aug 2.</p>

<p>Not for nothing, I'll add that my old job, Head, Imaging Services, at the Nelson-Atkins museum in Kansas City is also Posted <a href="http://www.nelson-atkins.org/welcome/JobIntern.cfm?gnk=job&gni=8a42a12b3da126b0013db1f3b3e424c1&gns=Indeed">HERE</a>. A GREAT job in a state-of-the-art studio in the new Bloch building with a super staff. Any qualified, interested parties that want more info can contact me off list.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There's a job at The Gap in San Francisco for a photographer that just got filled. It pays 30% more, has better working conditions, and more interesting shooting, at least to me, with live models. Even a local discount department store pays more than this for a full-time photography position.</p>

<p>And $40K is not a "living wage" in San Francisco. A one bedroom apartment within walking distance of SFMOMA runs $3500 a month now. A 250 sq ft (!) condo in the area runs $325K. If you like commuting an hour each way, maybe this job is appealing, since you can live in Richmond under the fumes from the oil refineries (which requires occasional evacuation when the fires happen) for half the cost of San Francisco and have just an hour long commute.</p>

<p>If they really want to hire people with the level of education and experience they say they are looking for, even with their "loosened" requirements, they will have to pay more or hope that someone with a spouse in high tech applies.</p>

<p>Thank you, Jeff, for your response. I'm gathering the job postings I shared are not suited to <em>you</em> but it's encouraging to hear there are other retail photo opportunities in SF that pay better and have better working conditions. Good to know.</p>

<p>Hi Jim, yes, thank you for your reply. I lived in the Bay area for a number of years, in Sausalito and Alameda and, like millions of people, commuted into SF everyday. I still have close friends there and quite familiar with the area. Since I don't work for the FAMSF, I don't really care what they do. My post was for information and as a follow up to a previous post. <br>

I'm surprised myself at the low pay for that position which is listed as a "head" position which is why I gather they haven't filled it yet. I can tell you that is atypically low pay for that position in a major metro area. In the three museums I've worked where I've had hiring responsibility, a salary at that level represents a lower tier on the responsibility/ experience level. The KC position represents more of what you would typically find at the head level. Then again, NAMA is a much larger institution with a large photo department. In the end they will get the staffing they pay for.</p>

<p>That said, getting a foot hold into this rather small, specialized niche of the photo business is not easy. If I was younger, with different needs, and interested in pursuing a career, I might at least investigate the opportunity, not as a long term solution, but as a way to build experience for a few years and use it as a stepping stone to a career position. I would also suspect that a candidate would also want to explore some other freelance work to supplement one's income in the short term, investigate shared housing, commuting and live frugally as most people do when they are starting out.</p>

<p>Additionally, if a person were so uninformed to think that you would take a job like this and expect to live live a few blocks away in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country, I would suggest they consider another line of work. Hopefully your heads up here, along with Jeff's colorful Richmond tableau, would assist those folks. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Louis - Good you know the situation here.<br>

Maybe they're offering so little because someone will take it to build a resume, or perhaps to get someone who wants to do it out of love of the work, itself. Either way, they are taking advantage and it doesn't seem right.<br>

On the other hand, there are market forces at work.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe they're offering so little because someone will take it to build a resume</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> Given that it requires a degree in photography and three years of experience, I seriously doubt that's their expectation.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>On the other hand, there are market forces at work.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> Which is why it's open for so long. </p>