Strange behaviour regarding page up/down, in threads

<p>This is at work with Win7 and IE8:</p>

<p>If I click on a thread when it goes to that page I'm taken very near the bottom of the thread. Hitting the home key does nothing. I can drag the scroll bar up to the top. Once I get there, if I hit down arrow once (should take me down one page) it takes back to the bottom of the thread.</p>

<p>This is been the norm for donkey's ages. Well here, anyway ;)</p>

<p>If the mouse would be the problem, the problem would show in any browser, any site... any program, wouldn't it? Using 5 different browsers for one specific site would not deliver any proof of that, as it could also still be the behaviour of the site, working identical in all browsers....so it does not really eliminate possibilities, just time....</p>

<p>Just tried, Win7/IE8, opening a long thread (from the unified view), I am taken to the start of the thread. When I click to open a different page of that thread, it takes me to the bottom of the page, as Mendel describes. Keyboard behaves as Mendel describes indeed. Same system, with FF (version 17), going to a different page takes me to the top of the page.<br>

So it looks to be an IE8 quirk on this very site indeed (as I am positive there is no problem with the hardware I am using here).</p>

<p>At home I'm using IE10, and there, most of the behaviours are dispelled: when I go to a long thread it stays at the top of the page. Clicking scroll bar up or down works normally.</p>

<p>The only issue still present: when I arrive at the page, if I hit up or down arrow on the keyboard, nothing happens. If I single click somewhere in the page, then the keyboard arrows do work, taking me down/up the page normally.</p>

<p>"<em>The only issue still present:</em> <em>when I arrive at the page, if I hit up or down arrow on the keyboard, nothing happens." </em>- and this is normal for photo.net. no issue present just proper understanding is needed.</p>

<p>Initial keyboard entry focus is placed in the Contribute a Response text entry box at the bottom of a page,and there no text there to scroll up or down, so your pressing up or down key works as it should, doing nothing.</p>

<p>Once you take the typing/pointing focus out of the input text box, the page starts obeying up or down keyboard key commands, for the page that is, and no longer works for the input text box.</p>

<p>....</p>

<p>...and about the original problem...</p>

<p>"<em>as it could also still be the behaviour of the site</em>" - wrong. There is no site behaviour like that.<br>

It is IE configuration possibly altered by some browser add-on.<br>

If you want to pursue this, disable your add-ons, and reset all IE settings to the default state.<br>

... but the best solution is to upgrade to IE version 10.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It is IE configuration possibly altered by some browser add-on.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It isn't; I tested it (as written above) on Win7, IE8 with no browser add-ons. And it still happens. Did you actually try your own proposed solutions for yourself before replying?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...but the best solution is to upgrade to IE version 10.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Some of us work in companies where IT is smart enough to control software release cycles. I'm stuck here with IE8, luckily with FF alongside. But in more than enough workplaces, you get IE8 and that's it.<br>

Whether that makes up enough of the p.net population to actually assign resources into looking into it, is another question of course.<br>

Indeed it could be due to the focus being put on the textbox (though once focus is no longer there, the Up/Down keys don't behave normal), but then the question is: should the focus be put there? Is it what the user expects? It's easy to declare it a non-issue with making the statement "things work like that" (a very standard knee-jerk answer IT engineers seem to love, by the way - and yes, I work in IT too so I know who I am insulting)... but that doesn't make it right. Things have to work for users, period. If people get confused how things work, something about the design isn't right even if it works as designed. Usability really is key.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>The transported-to-bottom-of-page behaviour continues. This is at work, using IE8, though I believe at home the behaviour is the same, I'll try to check tonight.<br />Any thread I click on, I'm transported to the bottom of the page. This is never a practical place to be. Almost without exception my preference would be to arrive at the head of the page. Seems reasonable, LOL.<br />And, I 100% agree with the comments above: if you are ticking off everyone, all the time, something is wrong.<br>

I hang out on an automtive forum where you are similarly fast-forwarded to a point in the thread. But there the difference is that it tracks what you've previously viewed, and takes you to beginning of any new contributions, since your last viewing. In that context it makes sense.</p>

<p>But here, visitting threads you've never viewed before, sorry, but you get an express trip to the bottom.</p>