Hot Deal on Sigma 17-50 OS/2.8 for Nikon

eric_arnold

<p>greetings, p-netters. just saw that adorama is advertising a smokin' hot memorial day deal on their best DX standard zoom: $544 w/ coupon code S1750099.</p>

<p>that's $50 off the normal price, which was already a good deal; when i got my 17-50 in late 2010, the price was closer to $800, i believe. after almost 3 years of use, i can say that this lens is a must-have for DX users. IQ is pretty good to excellent, with center sharpness at 2.8, border sharpness at f/4, and edge sharpness at f/8. AF is fast and reasonably quiet thanks to HSM, and OS is effective and virtually instantaneous (unlike some other stabilized lenses). the lens takes 77mm filters, which is good if you have those, and compares favorably with other options in its class, while being almost $1000 under the current price of the nikon 17-55, which doesnt have stabilization and isn't nearly as compact. the siggy 17-50 balances well on smaller DSLRs like the d90 as well as the d300s. i've used mine for numerous photojournalism assignments, event/concert shooting, candids, and even portraits. only real gotcha is really the backwards (Canon-style) zoom ring. build is decent--not quite pro-spec but no chipping or flaking for mine in almost 3 years, so... anyway, really can't beat this price--mine has paid for itself several times over and now its $250 less. link is <a href="http://www.adorama.com/SG1750NK.html?EmailPrice=T">here</a>.</p>

<p><em>"</em><em>$1000 under the current price of the Nikon 17-55"</em> VS new a new yes, but not used. Used Nikon 17 to 55 lenses are between $700 and $900. KEH has several LN (like new) for just over $800.</p>

<p><em>"</em><em>$1000 under the current price of the Nikon 17-55"</em> VS new a new yes, but not used. Used Nikon 17 to 55 lenses are between $700 and $900. KEH has several LN (like new) for just over $800 and EX (excellent-for KEH this classification would probably be like a new lens) for about $750.</p>

<p>Thanks for the alert. Been sitting on the fence deciding between Tamron and Sigma for this lens. This deal should settle it.</p>

<p>Can't get OP's link to work, get a blank page, even after disabling my pop-up blocker. Adorama has a kit, but no mention of a coupon. Am I missing something?</p>

<p>http://www.adorama.com/SG1750NKK.html?gclid=CKeM47LgrrcCFcud4Aodfx8AZw</p>

<p>@Robert, just enter the coupon code at checkout to save the additional $50.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Used Nikon 17 to 55 lenses are between $700 and $900. KEH has several LN (like new) for just over $800 and EX (excellent-for KEH this classification would probably be like a new lens) for about $750.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So? never seen a 17-55 used for $750, and honestly, i'm not sure why you would even bring this up, since obviously with a used lens, you dont get a warranty. and also obviously with the 17-55, you dont get stabilization. perhaps you're trying to imply the 17-55 has better IQ? eh, maybe, maybe not. i'm not sure you lose much if anything, but you add <em>much</em> more weight. also, the 17-55 design is from 2003; in that time, sigma has gone through no less than 4 iterations of their standard DX 2.8 zoom, while Nikon hasnt updated this design at all, so you are comparing a Gen1 lens with a Gen 4 lens. For $800 new, i.e. with a warranty, i would consider a 17-55, but with new prices being bwa-ha-ha-laughable and used prices still more thn the new prices of the siggy or the equally-well-regarded tamron 17-50, it's pretty difficult to recommend the 17-55, except maybe for a dedicated event/wedding shooter who shoots DX exclusively. OTOH, having used the 17-50 OS for 3 years for pro/paid shoots as well as casual/candid/street shooting i can definitely recommend it, especially at such a low price point.</p>

<p>I just received a note asking me to drop in to clarify:</p>

<p>SKU: SG1750NK MFR: 583306 <br /> <strong>Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Auto Focus Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras - U.S.A. Warranty</strong></p>

<h1> </h1>

<p>is usually $669, but currently $594 after a $75 rebate.<br /> There is also 2% back as store credit after 40 days.</p>

<p>I THINK Coupon Code S1750999 gives the $50 discount, but need to double-check</p>

<p><br /> Helen Oster<br /> Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<br /> Helen@adorama.com</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just checked, and it looks like the coupon code deal expired already. I'm sorry</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, Eric posted the info 3.5 days ago, so people at least had a couple of days. If they missed it, they only had themselves to blame.</p>

<p>Helen, any chance this deal will be extended or return?</p>

<p>I never get the heads up on deals ahead of of time, I'm sorry.</p>

<p>The best solution is to sign up for the special offer emails, bottom right of any web page; follow us on Twitter, or follow us on Facebook.</p>

<p>In addition, in my experience none of the special offers advertised by any of these 'deal' websites give you anything that you wouldn't get by doing the above, and / or clicking on the word 'Deals' in the masthead on any of the Adorama web pages!</p>

<p>Helen</p>

<p> </p>

<p>No need to play the blame game. And $50 isn't that big a deal.</p>

<p>OP said "a smokin' hot memorial day deal". Adorama's page said "Memorial Day Savings Event - One Week Only". As far as I know, Memorial Day in the US of A is tomorrow. Happy bbq, and don't let smoke get into your eyes, like I did.</p>