First photography job panic

lauralewis

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I am still new to photography, I have only been mindfully shooting for about a year now. <br>

I have been mostly focusing on learning all that I can and shooting, shooting, shooting as much as possible. I know I still have a long way to go but I have just been offered two different jobs (both today!) and while<br>

I want to jump at these opportunities I am scared that I just am not good enough yet. Both of these offers were not sought out by me, they were made after a viewing of my work, so at least people like what they see, but I have high standards for what I want my work to be, and I know that I am not there yet.<br>

So to get to the point, the first job is for some wedding anniversary photos. I think I could pull this one off if I do an outdoor shoot. I don't own any lighting or reflectors yet, any suggestions for basic equipment that would help with a shoot like this? <br>

The next job I was offered was a wedding and at first I flat out refused. I have no experience with wedding photography and like I said, no lighting equipment at all. I am considering accepting if it is a small outdoor wedding (which I think it will be). But once again what would be a good investment to help me with this large offer?<br>

Once again, I know that I need a lot more experience and equipment than I have, but these people know that about me and want me anyway which is the only reason I am considering it at all.<br>

Thank you for any and all help.<br>

~Laura </p>

<p>You were wise to turn down the wedding. That's a tough job that will require a lot of skill.</p>

<p>Put your camera in P mode and focus on capturing moments. Try to predict when things are going to happen such as two people hugging or breaking out into big smiles. </p>

<p>The one thing that you need to worry about - and which will really mess up your pictures if you don't get it right - is focus. It's very common for a camera to focus on the background when you think that you are focusing on a person that's only a few feet away. Practice shooting a friend until you know exactly how your camera's autofocus system will work.</p>

<p>I recommend that you set it to Single Shot autofocus instead of Continuous. Invest some time on practice. If you give your client a bunch of blurry photos, it's not going to be good for your reputation. Or their memories of their anniversary.</p>

<p>The 18-55 is not the greatest lens. Maybe you could rent a better one. Either way, have extra batteries and SD cards. You probably should shoot in RAW to give yourself as much leeway as possible in post production. Do you have a tripod? Could come in handy for the formals. Do you have an external flash? Are you doing this for free? If so, they need to be aware that you're not making any promises of stellar proportions and even so you may want to get something in writing to cover you. </p>

<p>I've been shooting in RAW and Manual so I have more control. I'm not really worried about focus, I switch back and forth between auto and manual as needed.<br>

What lens would you suggest renting?<br>

Also where I don't have a lot of $, should I invest in a reflector for now?<br>

Thanks!</p>

I would run like the wind from the wedding job, for both your sakes! Weddings, no matter how small, are a once-in-a-lifetime event and

need to be captured perfectly since there are no do-overs. They also need to be looking for someone who has backup equipment.

As for the anniversary photos, a reflector is always a great thing to have (along with an extra set of hands to hold it at whatever angle you

may need), and they're very inexpensive.

<p>How well do you know the people who want to hire you? I am not suggesting that they have high expectations but are they likely to hinder the chance of getting future business if you were to mess up?<br>

Expectation is a funny old world. I have moderately better equipment with you and a whole host of lenses but turned down a colleague's daughter's wedding recently. They were not going to hire a professional any way. In the end they shot with a bridge camera and a point and shoot. The results made them happy as they was all they were expecting. <br>

Your lenses are slow. Is the wedding going to be outdoors in good weather? Work on the focusing exercise as has been pointed out by someone above. That sort of thing is always useful. If you have any money to spare I would recommend a second hand external flash that works with your camera and the 50 f1.8 lens.</p>

<p>Laura</p>

<p>I echo what the others have said regarding the wedding. If you look on the Weddings and Events Forum there is lots of advice for first timers. A quick read and I think you will conclude that you currently don't have enough gear (and possibly enough experience) yet. There are a few rather sobering disaster stories there too!</p>

<p>Regarding the anniversary shoot: some way of putting some light into shadows and creating catch-lights in your subject's eyes is essential, and a reflector will do this for you. I have taken many a nice portrait with natural light, a reflector and my kit lens. A flash (preferably with a modifier) is more versatile, but is also more expensive and harder to learn.</p>

<p>With careful positioning you can use natural light as a hair and rim light separating your subjects from the background, and the reflector to bounce light into their faces as your main light. If all else fails, position your subject in shade and bounce some light at them using the reflector.</p>

<p>Hope this helps a bit</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Should also have said:</p>

<ul>

<li>pick early morning or early evening for the shoot for the best light; and</li>

<li>as you are using relatively slow zooms, I would pick a location where you can put some distance between the subjects and the background</li>

</ul>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>Laura, Re:weddings, avoid for the time being as suggested above. Re: Anniversary photos: If you are lucky you'll have an overcast but dry day. Low contrast light is what you need in the absence of any auxiliary lighting or light modifying equipment. If the day is clear & sunny try to keep people in the shade. (reduces tendency of subjects to squint) Avoid blotchy sunlight filtering through leaves. (produces a mottled look to the shots) Good luck. Best, LM.</p>

<p>I shoot the occasional wedding. The key thing is back-up. So a second body is essential as is back-up if the standard zoom fails - a 35mm lens will allow 3/4 and full length portraits, but is a bit short for bust length. However, your two zooms can cover this at around the 55-60mm mark so you're OK there.</p>

<p>You are right to worry about lighting. A reflector - and an assistant to to hold it - would be good for an outdoor anniversary session. However, learning flash is really important if you plan do more. Even an outdoor wedding can need flash, especially in bright sunlight where you need to balance bright backgrounds with faces in shadow. Otherwise, Chris has offered some excellent advice.</p>

<p>Hi Laura,</p>

<p>Exactly the same boat as me !! scary huh !! i turned down a wedding for this reason - far too much pressure. in terms of lens i like my NIKON 85mm prime 1.8.....this is professional quality on my D3100 NIKON and has such shallow field which is just brilliant. I have just upgraded to the D600.<br>

good Luck, and keep confident.....people like what they see, so damn it, be proud....I totally understand what you mean though !!<br>

:) x</p>

<p>Thanks so much everyone!<br>

I know the wedding is over my head for sure, it was just tempting to think about ;)<br>

I really wasn't sure where to start as far as equipment needed to reach the next level and this helped a lot.<br>

Thanks again!</p>

<p>You have trusting friends or naive friends of friends if they're willing to give you the gig at your level of experience. It's not impossible to learn, but it will take some time and more gear... depends how much time you have on your hands to learn it and how much you can spend. You might have to just jump on these opportunities when they come if you don't know when you'll get another one.</p>

<p>I feel like you're second guessing your abilities more than you should but I understand the apprehension. Like the others have suggested, I would recommend skipping the wedding, this time. Search for an established wedding photographer in search of a second or third and volunteer. Be prepared with examples of your best (repeatable) work. Wedding photography is so much more than photography. It's client management, scientist, artist, director and counselor/psychologist, it's best to learn the ins and outs under the supervision of an experienced wedding photographer.<br /><br />Renting a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 35mm f/2 or f/1.4 to use in conjunction with your 18-55 would be advisable. Your 55-200 isn't the best for event photography, it's just too slow. You will also need some other equipment, especially if the reception drags on into the evening (and they usually do). With no flash (pop-up doesn't count), you will be left high and dry.<br /><br />I would encourage you to take the anniversary gig but consider renting at least one fast lens, f/2.8 or faster. Practice posing, look through wedding and event photos here on PN to get ideas. The people photos you have in your portfolio are well composed, shot, and edited... I think you'll do great.</p>

Event photographers can't choose their weather of the time of day of their shoot. They need to be able to shoot in any light at any time of

day, indoors or outdoors, and make it look good. This is why so much skill is required to do wedding photography well.

I have done a bit of dabbling into wedding photography as a second shooter and read up a lot on wedding photography as a result. I was at my niece's wedding recently and was a bit puzzled with the photographer that they had hired. He was doing the standard poses but not the standard posing. I didn't interfere until finally at the cutting of the cake, I said to my niece, "The bride should be closest to the camera." She was hidden behind her new husband with only her head peeking out. The bride is always closest to the camera. It is her day; the groom is just there for background. That is one of the first things that a wedding photographer should know.

I later found out that it was the wedding photographer's first gig. There is more to wedding photography than just taking well composed, well exposed shots.

James G. Dainis

<p>Interesting observation James. I was at a wedding a few weeks ago. The official photographer was using a 5Dmk3 and L series lenses, but no flash. His minimum fee is £1500 (about 2500USD). I saw a lot of non-poses, amputated feet, eyes with blocked up shadows and some interestingly angled shots. I was taking snaps using my Olympus OM-D and a slow zoom but with some fill flash. But his clients seem happy, so I guess it's about 'style' sometimes.</p>

<p>Laura, you must deny the wedding photography offer. Not because you aren’t confident about your work but because you must not take such a big risk. Anniversaries do come every year, so even if you miss some important moments or some of the pictures don’t turn out to be good, it won’t be a major issue but wedding is always a once-in-a-lifetime event, and in case you miss some of the proceedings or the pictures aren’t as good as they should be, you will disappoint the newlyweds. Photographing a wedding is a difficult thing and need expertise and competence. So, I suggest, drop it out. <br>

For photographing a wedding anniversary, here are some of the things you would need. This is a basic list and you may add as many other equipment and accessories as you can. </p>

<ul>

<li>

<p>Camera (obvious one)</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>A tripod</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>Various light reflectors or probably a circular reflector kit like this one <a href="http://www.photostudiosupplies.com/5-in-1-collapsible-multi-disc-reflector.php">http://www.photostudiosupplies.com/5-in-1-collapsible-multi-disc-reflector.php</a></p>

</li>

<li>

<p>Wide angle lens to capture family portraits</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>Prime lens for photographing the couple</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>Chroma key backdrops (in case you want to replace the background and add some shimmery, glossy, or special effect background to your images)</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>Extra batteries and memory card</p>

</li>

<li>

<p>A translucent umbrella to diffuse the light </p>

</li>

</ul>

<p>All these equipment are very basic ones that every photographer must have. Good luck!</p>