Northern California

enrique_flores

<p>Hi, everybody:<br>

A few months ago I consulted photonet members on traveling to western NY State. I received excellent suggestions, which contributed to a very successful trip. This time, my job will take me to San Francisco over the second week of August. I am thinking on traveling a week ahead and spend time touring Northern California with my wife. I have already checked Skip Wilson's post on a similar matter (dated April 3), which originated a number of good responses. I wonder if somebody else can comment and suggest other things.<br>

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.<br>

Enrique Flores</p>

<p>You might look at "Photographing California" by Gary Crabbe. It is similar in style to Laurent Martres' books on the Southwest. From the Muir Redwoods just north of San Francisco to the Oregon coast there are a lifetime of photo opportunities. In mid August, the inland temperatures are likely to be hot, so unless you go to the Tahoe-Truckee area, I would stick to coastal areas.</p>

<p>Looks like the answers Skip Wilson got were mostly for Northern California. Here's a few points south: Go south on Hwy 1. There is a new tunnel at Devil's Slide, and the now abandoned road is being developed as a park. In Montara, there's a hostel/lighthouse that's nice. Further south is the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve which has great tide pools (check the tide tables for low tide). The town of Half Moon bay has great places to eat and shop. El Granada has a fisherman's wharf with photo opportunities and good dining. From Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz is some of the best scenery on the coast. Good shore birds and pelicans in August. Pescadero is a photogenic small town with good eats at Duartes, and at the Pescadero Country Store. Best burrito on the coast at the gas station (yes, really). Just south the Pigeon Point lighthouse is definitely worth a stop. From Santa Cruz to Monterey is mostly freeway to Moss Landing where there's Elkhorn Slough, another fishing port, and sea otters to view at the park just north of town. There, that's enough for now. </p><div>00bnRe-541145584.jpg.1d94c47d13e4b91bd297ab7e2ecc9994.jpg</div>

<p>San Francisco can be foggy in August. When the fog engulfs the city, it will be COLD. Bring a heavy fleece at the very least.</p>

<p>Will you have a car? Are you limited to San Francisco? California is large and diverse. How far are you willing to travel? A simple option, if you have a car, would be to spend a few days in around San Francisco and a few days in the Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur area. If you have time, you could go further south to Hearst Castle, but that's quite a distance from SF. Definitely not a day trip!</p>

<p>You can escape the coastal fog by going inland. Napa Valley and Yosemite are good options, but you'll need to book accommodations for Yosemite well in advance. Napa can be done in day trips from SF.</p>

<p>Thanks for the answers, guys. Just to make it clear, I have four or five days off before my job appointments. I intend to rent a car at SF Airport. I visited the area south of SF some years ago, that's why I want to try North this time. The wine country is a possibility, obviously. I may try to go further North, perhaps even to the Humboldt Redwood State Park.</p>

<p>EF</p>

<p>Google/Bing Muir Woods - very convenient to the SF area, excellent redwoods, easy walking.</p>

<p>Check out the Marin Headlands, too. That's the land directly across the Golden Gateway from SF and where all those shots of the city through the bridge are taken.</p>

<p>Napa and Sonoma Valleys - the vines will be well developed and picking will start in August for a few varieties of grapes. Winery tours can be very interesting. The large corporate operations like Beringer have well organized tours that are typically free and informative. Some of the small, family-owned wineries don't offer tours, while others have them only on weekdays (too busy on the weekends), and most of them are by appointment. If you go this route, the tour will probably be conducted by a family member. IMHO the Napa Valley is more scenic than the Sonoma Valley, but others disagree. Plenty to shoot in both.</p>

<p>A drive up the coast is a worthwhile trip - once across the Golden Gate, take Hwy 1 to get over to the coast. You'll go thru Point Reyes - a great place for both scenery and wildlife, and Bodega Bay (Hitchcock's The Birds was filmed here), and can go all the way up to Mendicino and Ft Bragg if you want. If you go that far, I recommend looking into the Skunk Train - it goes into the redwoods - but do some checking on availability. They experienced a rock slide or tunnel collapse that is being repaired and cleaned up - make sure they are going to be operating before you set your plans.</p>

<p>I did a drive up the northern california coast last spring.</p>

<p>The coastline is amazing, we drove all the way up to Arcata. I can also recommend "avenue of the giants" drive as well. I've got some pics posted at </p>

<p> Flickr Search

<p>Most of those are geo tagged so you can see the locations</p>

<p>I love SFO and the NorCal area, but let me suggest you take the drive south to Big Sur for at least a day. There are lots of hiking trails, Point Sur Lighthouse, Point Lobos Reserve, Bixby Bridge, Carmel and the 17 mile drive, Santa Cruz, the list goes on.<br>

Also, <a href="http://ca.myphotoscout.com/">http://ca.myphotoscout.com/</a> is an excellent resource for you to take a look at.</p>

<p>My fav area is Mendocino, but the entire stretch from SF to Oregon line is really nice and worth exploring (as Bob indicated). If you are up for something different, also in the No Calif, perhaps Lassen Natl PK would get your attention, since it's only 240 miles from SF. I camped there twice (week at a time), though lodging outside the park should be available....I'd make reservations asap. It's the least known CA natl pk...and folks that live within the state, much less elsewhere, have very little knowledge of it. It has various hot springs and even referred to it as "smaller Yellowstone". One of the hikes is to the top of Mt Lassen....roughly 2000' incline...and you'd start from parking lot @8500'. Hey, I'm over 60, and if I could do it..... The campground is at 6500' and around 60 miles from Redding. While the heat may be concentrated around Redding and 105-115 are not all that unusual, the park basks in reasonable temps of 65-78 and it can even be chilly at night. You can also access the park from Red Bluff area, as well.</p>

<p>Anyway, you still would have some extra time (if you wish)....to drive the coast. Once you're there and enjoying the smell of pines, gentle breeze and fab vistas....it's difficult to leave.</p>

<p>Couple of shots...descending from the peak.</p>

<p>Les<br>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jeff, Phil, Steve, Dan, Bob, Tudor, Mario, Leszak: thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I can see the wide variety of options there are and all of the have enough merits. I will be preparing my itinerary and let you know what I will eventually do. I have about a month's time so I better start making reservations.<br>

Since I will be traveling with business clothing, papers, laptop, etc. I will have to take only basic photo equipment: a DSLR, a couple of lenses (one wide angle, one compact zoom), a P&S, a couple of filters, perhaps a monopod. I wonder if I would need a 70-200 telephoto? </p>

<p>The only times that come to my mind ( for my style) for the longer focal length lens would be around Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park to get shots of the Roosevelt Elk herd, and for some interesting coastline perspectives.</p>

<p>Depending on what you want to shoot, I recommend a wide angle (12-24 for APS-C) and a longer zoom (an 18-200 is my workhorse lens). I also carry a 70-300, but don't use it as much. I didn't bother with my 150-500, although next trip I'm planning on taking it to take photos of the sea otters that hang around Moss Landing, which is just south of Santa Cruz.<br>

Whatever you take, there are countless opportunities north and south of SFO. It's one of my favorite areas of the country. Enjoy!</p>

<p>I would highly recommend Big Sur as well; Pfieffer Beach is a real treat, as are some of the hikes. Santa Cruz is not that far away from there as well, and makes for classic California Beach scenery (pretty girls in bikinis sure are nice too =D ).</p>

<p>Bite the bullet and head to Yosemite if you want the ultimate outdoor photography experience. It's only a 4 hour drive from San Francisco. August isn't the best time to capture some of the waterfalls in Yosemite, but the views are still spectacular.</p>

<p>San Francisco itself is a nice place for photography. Since it's Summer, you're likely going to get great iconic shots of the city peeking above the compressed layer of fog rolling in the late afternoon, just get up on something high, like Twin Peaks or the Marin Headlands.</p>

<p>Berkeley and the Oakland Hills to the East offer excellent views of the Bay too, as well as some of the best food in the Bay.</p>

<p>If you're looking up North, the Marin Headlands itself are nice, as is wine country. You'll find that the vineyards are incredible places to enjoy old architecture and rolling hills of grape plants as far as the eye can see. August is a great time to photograph grapes as they are just starting to mature for picking in September and October. There are also plenty of quaint small towns that offer their own charming character. The restaurants there are also absolutely incredible if you're into haute (fancy pants) cuisine.</p>

<p>Oh, don't forget to photograph the sea lions at Pier 39. Everyone does it, no matter how cliche or overdone.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>(Edit: forgot your wife will be going with you. Disregard the girls in Santa Cruz suggestion. More trouble than it's worth =P )</p>

<p>Enrique, if you're spending time in San Francisco itself, here's a ton of <a href="http://www.shutterguides.com/guide/66/san-francisco-spots/">photo spots in San Francisco</a>:<br /> http://www.shutterguides.com/guide/66/san-francisco-spots/<br>

<br /> And some of the <a href="http://www.shutterguides.com/guide/81/northern-california-beaches/">best beaches</a> around the area:<br /> http://www.shutterguides.com/guide/81/northern-california-beaches/<br>

<br /> I'd also second Point Reyes and Muir Woods. Have tons of fun - it's beautiful here!</p>