travel lens selection

kira_greene

<p>I'd start with the 50mm 1.4 You're going to have some natural light situations (inside of a cafe, a church or museum, low-light at night) where you're going to want a wide-open aperture. Plus, it's really hard to beat a prime lens for a sharp image.<br>

After that, ask yourself what type of photography you're going to be taking. Lots of buildings or vistas...than something like the 18-135 would be good (more for the 18mm/wide angle element). But my first reaction was actually the 300mm. I was thinking of trying to grab images (the skiers on the slope, the couple at the cafe 100 yards away, the wildlife on the slope) that are just too far way for you to get close to. But ultimately, all of the recommendations so far are correct--for the shooter that made them. If you shoot buildings you'll want a wide angle. If you shoot street photography you'll want a mid-range zoom. Picking out details from the landscape or wildlife you'll want something longer than 135mm.</p>

<p>Kevin, I think that what Mary means (by which, of course, you as a scholar will understand that I mean my own attempt to convey the meaning that I gain from what Mary wrote) is that not having a portfolio (or a body of work as an art critic - do you have a site for that?) makes it difficult to tell what your style or taste is or even whether you are coming from a knowledgeable position.</p>

<p>If you gave us a link to your doctoral thesis or most recent book it would better help us to understand your position and how it informs criticisms such as Lanting and Muench being "misguided souls who have confused super saturated images with something that has meaning" and how your comment that seems to state that you would prefer a more literal palette and perhaps a bit less drama in your <a href="http://franslanting.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Cheetahs-on-the-Run/G0000Hiuif4fCU4Q/I0000zj8sJ0biMWA/C0000oGyNzc1nqPc">drama</a> relates to a requirement that everybody be using only prime lenses.</p>

<p>Kira, if you're still here, you can go ahead and ignore anything appearing after Mary's July 17 comment.</p>

<p>Hello All,<br>

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I will not be taking the advice of throwing out my lenses, zoom or otherwise.<br>

I definitely won't be checking my camera stuff - or anything at all, actually. :) Well, maybe a super cheap tripod, but if it gets lost/broken/stolen it will be more of a relief to be rid of it, so yeah, I might check that. Last time I checked a bag, it was lost, came back broken and had stuff stolen out of it.<br>

I think I have settled on the 50mm, 11-16mm (which I don't really count this as a "zoom" lens, I mean there's not a whole lot of zooming possible on that range!), and the 18-135mm.<br>

Christopher, I *am* bringing a TLR! I just got a Yashica Mat 124G and a boat load of 120 film for it - of course, I am worried that TSA will force me to x-ray my film. I plan on asking for a hand check for my film (and I don't go through the scanners myself) but have read horror stories about others' experiences with TSA and camera film hand checks. Naturally, my film is all lower ISO so I am really hoping to get a helpful TSA agent...hey! A helpful TSA agent, why looky there - a pig just flew past!<br>

Does anyone have tips for flying with 120 film?<br>

I was thinking only 2 lenses because the TLR makes the camera bag a little heavy. I can't put all of my gear in my carry on backpack as it would exceed the weight limit, so I planned for all heavy items in my personal item...it all fits, but man is it HEAVY! :) Guess I will have to get a little creative with packing my backpack and personal item.<br>

Mary, thank you - I am looking forward to the trip and I appreciate all of your comments.<br>

I'm not sure what I will shoot a lot of...I very much like landscapes, architecture, and portraits. I thought I might try some street photography with the TLR and the character of the German streets. It will be an adventure, that is for sure!<br>

Thank you, I really do appreciate all of the advice. :)</p>

<p>Thank you! I am so very excited about the Yashica Mat 124G - I can't wait to shoot with it! :) I shot a test roll to make sure it was working (it was an ebay steal) and I am so smitten with medium format! :) :) I will definitely try to get some uploaded when I get back - as long as my film doesn't get damaged from TSA's scary x-ray machines.</p>

<p><em>... as long as my film doesn't get damaged from TSA's scary x-ray machines.</em></p>

<p>Kira, you're smarter than that -- don't let it happen. Here is an out-smart-them link for you:<br>

http://www.photographyblog.com/articles/flying_with_film/</p>

<p>After reading the "Flying with Film" article, or other articles you find on line, you can search Photo.net's Film and Processing Forum for tips and advice on flying with film. If the archived Film and Processing threads raise new questions, you can then start your own new thread on the F&P forum. Photo.net wants you to shoot successfully!</p>

<p>Kira said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . originally I was planning on the 11-16mm and the 50mm . . .</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think your initial instincts were right. I would take the 11-16mm f/2.8 and your fast, 50mm f/1.4. Personally, I rarely use telephotos when traveling. Sometimes I bring my 80-400mm for some compression shots, but those shots are always few and far between.</p>

<p>On my next trip to Hawaii, I'm thinking of taking only two lenses for my full-frame body: 1.) Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 HSM II; 2.) AF Nikkor 35mm f/2.0. The Sigma ultra-wide is slow, but I'll only be shooting daylight exteriors with it. The 35mm f/2.0 I'll use at the hotel for interiors, and low-light shots (I chose the 35mm f/2.0 over my 35mm f/1.4 mainly because it's so small). When I went to French Polynesia, I shot 99% of my images with a 20mm f/2.8 on a crop-body.</p>