B+W Bay III Kaseman Linear Polariser ?

john_dowle1

<p>I've just bought a B+W Kaseman Linear Polarizing filter to use on my Rolleiflex 2.8C, any tips on how to use it for best results ie metering etc would be very much appreciated.<br>

Thanks in advance for any help or advice as usual.<br>

John.</p>

B+W will have the exact correction factor printed on the filter rim.<br>The bigger challenge is to change the filter from viewing lens to taking lens without changing the setting/orientation. If the filter hasn't already, put a mark on the rotating ring and a series of marks on the non-rotating part to help set it the way you have determined with the filter on the viewing lens.

<p>Q.G. It never occured to me that you would have to view the scene through the filter and then change it over! I have a rolleiflex and a yashica tlr, but haven't used filters on them. My Rolleiflex came with a yellow and a red filter, but they are collecting dust in my cabinet. Do you think this is a critical step? If so, it may be easier just to buy a second filter to fit on the view lens, John.</p>

It is a critical step, the effect of a polarizer depending on how it is oriented. Something you can't judge unless you look through it.<br>I don't think it necessary to get two filters. You would have to have marks on both to make sure both are set the same. And with marks on the filter rim, it's easy enough to change the filter from viewing to taking lens and set it up the same again.<br>Obviously orientation is not an issue with colour filters.

<p>Q.G., again I get to parade my ignorance back and forth, naked across the MF forum. I'm not at all familiar with filters and didn't know exactly how a polarizer works. A quick Google has sorted me out....that's one of the reasons I keep coming back to PN, I'm constantly learning something from someone.</p>

<p>I find it easier to just look through a polarizing filter than to mount it on the viewing lens and switch it over. Then you just need to mount it on the taking lens using the same orientation. Obviously polarizer use is much simpler on an SLR than with a TLR (or, for that matter, a RF camera).</p>