Photodrop submissions are turning 90 degrees

AmyHelmick

<p>Hi. I have not had this problem until this morning. The photo orientation is correct on my iPhone, but when posted it will be rotated 90 degrees. Suggestions? I did delete one photo and re-post it, thinking that I had somehow had the orientation wrong on my phone, but I got the same result.</p>

<p>It's probably more like PN is ignoring the orientation tag in the image for some reason. JPEG orientation tags have always been a problem. Sometimes they are there, sometimes they are not, some programs read them properly, some don't, some programs write them properly, some don't. It's a can of worms. It's not at all unusual for an image uploaded to a website to end up with the wrong orientation when the EXIF flag is improperly set or read.</p>

<p>See <a href="http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html">http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html</a></p>

<p>It's more work, but if you open and save the images in another image editor before uploading them, they'll probably appear the way you want them.</p>

<p>I don't know enough about what software PN uses to upload and process images to tell you exactly what's going on or whether it's something that can be fixed easily.</p>

I noticed then when using Chrome if I clicked on a link to one of my vertical photos, it showed as horizontal. I dumped Chrome but I'm sure many users after having to turn their heads sideways to see one of my vertical photos have wondered why that jerk (me) didn't upload the photo vertically in the first place, which I did. Obviously, Chrome doesn't read the photo orientation data. Go figure.
James G. Dainis

<p>I've had this issue with other sites, as well (primarily Photobucket) but it only seems to be a problem when uploading images from my phone. I've had the problem persist even after adjusting orientation and re-saving in another application (usually Canon Digital Photo Professional) so even that isn't a guarantee. The camera in my phone sucks, though, so I never really upload those here. The solution, I've discovered, is to adjust the orientation, save the image as a TIFF, which apparently carries with it more EXIF data(?) and then re-save the TIFF as a jpeg. If you're all about the convenience, this isn't the best approach.</p>