my newest eye-candy - contax iiia

<p>I've owned this one for a while; but couldn't use it because it needed some major work (the focus wheel was very hard to turn). So, I got myself on the wait list and finally a few months ago, I got a message from Henry Scherer that he was ready to work on my camera/lenses. <br>

She just came back yesterday. Last night, I put in a roll of Kodak gold 100, just to see how she'd take film after so many years without it.<br>

And today, I have her in my bag, and I'm shooting film for a first time in a long time. Amazing how beautiful and yet small these old range-finders can be. Yes, she's heavy - but, she fits well in my purse, I slid her into a small, never used make-up bag, so that she wouldn't collect any dust from being in my purse. (goodness only knows what's left over from being carried in there - My purse is a collector of misc - everything from old reciepts to shoes, or yogurt... )<br>

The first few pictures, it's a learning process to shoot such old school cameras. I have other rangefinders that I've not used in a while - I know how the process works - but slowing down. Remembering to change the dial for slowing the shutter, and watching the needle of the light meter, trying to center it... It's sure not as simple as using my cell-phone. And learning how to focus is a challenge in itself, rangefinders aren't easy. She sure is beautiful though. I hope I will develop a habit of carrying her, so that I can continue this learning process. develop an appreciation that photography can be easy and digital - but these classics of metal and good german glass - that puts the 'class' in 'classic. :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Beautiful camera Rose. The bag idea sounds good, but I have lost so many shots fumbling around in my sidebag for a camera that I have everything on a strap these days. I suspect the photos it takes will be wonderful. It's one of the few cameras I've never used, and you seldom see one out on the street. Be prepared for interested and even condescending looks when you shoot it. I was in my favorite coffee shop the other day w/ a Rolleicord slung over my shoulder. As I was heading out the door I heard someone say to their friend "why anyone would shoot film in this day and age...." didn't catch the end, but that was enough. I feel sorry for people like that. They'll never know the enjoyment of using these great cameras, nor will they see their friends eyes bug out when they see the results from them. Well, if people keep getting dumber I am going to look like an absolute genius soon, except to the wife and family who know the real score. Even the cat regularly gets one over on me.</p>

<p>Wow, nice example! And fresh off the tech bench, too. The best of the best. I have a Contax IIa and boy is it's a nice shooter. I wish the finder wasn't so tiny. Hard to see with my thick glasses. Good luck with your beautiful Contax. </p>

<p>Lovely thing indeed, well done. The Leica versus Contax is a really interesting one. I feel that the Leicas are nicer to use, the Contax ergonomics are a bit dodgy...and I never use that wheel!<br>

However the Contax is pretty and beautifully built...makes a lovely noise, and I reckon that the Sonnars are better than the Leitz lenses of the same period. Really you have to have both :)</p>

Years ago, I bought two IIAs. One was in bad shape and the other actually worked though not smoothly. I had my local

camera repair man fix them and he got them both working but they were never really right.

I eventually sent them into Henry Scherer (took ages) and when they came back, they worked very smoothly and well.

But even so, they were more complicated and fiddly to use than my Leica IIIf. My impression is that it's a great work of

engineering and beautiful to look at and it is capable of taking good pictures (probably with better lenses than the

equivalent Leica of the period) but you won't enjoy the experience, at least by modern standards. This is especially true if

you step up to the Leica M series.

I should sell them, but they're so pretty. I can use the lenses on my Nex-7 too.

<p>Wow! That is a lovely specimen,<strong> Rose</strong>. While I personally feel that the Contax/Kieve design is not really designed for the human hand (witness the "Contax grip"!), and I would choose several other rangefinders for pleasurable use before picking up this design, there's no denying that the sheer quality of the construction and the overall beauty of the camera make it worth persevering with. I hope you master the tricks and enjoy using the Contax, and post a selection of your images on this forum.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I had my local camera repair man fix them and he got them both working but they were never really right. I eventually sent them into Henry Scherer (took ages) and when they came back, they worked very smoothly and well. But even so," <em><strong>David G.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do check out this past Pnet thread (for warnings) if you're considering putting hard earned money towards a service and serious use... <a href="/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Wvy8?start=0"><strong>Who favors a Contax?</strong></a> <em><<< Click</em></p>

<p>I've been slowly using my camera, at this rate, that roll of 24 will take me a week to get through, but I do intend to take a walk this weekend and try out the camera on some of the now blooming gardens around my neighborhood. <br>

The Leica vs Contax question - I have to say I really am loving the feel of the contax - and yes! the sound of the shutter - what an amazing, soft and quick swoosh! Modern DSLRs, may all be technically advanced and 'easy' - but they hold nothing to the engineering bravo! that these contax have in those simple rectangles of metal. <br>

A few years ago, I bought a used M2, and I'd bought a few voigtlander lenses to go with it, and a Elmar 90mm. Have I used it more than for a few pictures? no. why? there's too much effort to connect the voigtlander light meter (is part of it) ... it's not just one simple box of a camera as the contax iiia is. Could I learn to love it? ... sure. But, it doesn't slide so easily into a little pouch in my bag. when you add an attached this, or that - and, that just makes me think that it's complicated - not to shoot it, but to carry it.<br>

I may have to bring them both out walking though and do a comparison study. But, in this immediate future - I'm very happy to just have the one in hand. :)</p>

<p> </p>

Well, it kind of showcases the problem with these cameras, assuming you plan to use them. Consider my experience with

the IIIf which I bought REALLY broken and the IIAs. In both cases I took them to the same guy, a very good camera

repair guy. Many repair persons won't touch the Contaxes to begin with. In all cases I got a working camera back. in the

case of the IIIf it was smooth as silk and has continued that way for years. In the case of the IIAs, they worked but not

perfectly. After Scherer sent them back they seemed to work OK but really they're not suitable for everyday use. For that

you would need on call Contax repair people and there aren't any anymore. Henry takes just too long to be a fallback for

someone who actually uses his cameras for something important.

You might get lucky and have your camera work perfectly for years but you can't really count on it. I'm not sure you'd want

to count on a IIIf either but you'd have a slightly better shot and if it did fail, there are lots more people who can fix it

quickly and well.

They're great useable museum pieces, but you'd have to be masochist to use the Contax IIs or IIIs or even the Leica IIs

or IIIs these days on a regular basis -- and you'd have to have better eyes (and no glasses) than I have.

For god sake, if you were going to use them day to day, upgrade to a Leica M. Those things might be the last human

made item functioning after humans go extinct. It's rugged, beautiful, and very easy to use. If you just want a nice piece

for your display cabinet, get a Contax RF or better a Contarex Bullseye.

If you want to use a IIA or a IIIA on a regular basis, more power to you, but expect a struggle. If it's any consolation, nobody is going to be using my Nex-7 in 50 years or any other camera built today (probably including the modern Leica Ms).

<p>there's something to love about the old classics though. Whether it's a contax or a old mamiya or hasselblad ... there's something precious about holding a peice of history that still works, in one's hands - and slowing down to use it. <br>

I have several old cameras, and I am not one to use them regularly - but after getting my contax back from the overhaul - I want to! ...<br>

It's time for me to take the Vitessa T, and the Leica M2 out of the drawer and appreciate that these cameras still are quite capable to take good photos (if only I can relearn how to use them). I'd become so used to letting my cellphone camera do all my thinking for me. I'd forgotten all the steps to doing it all 'old-school'. :)<br>

I'm looking forward to seeing that first roll.</p>

<p>Rose .. You rock! I too have the Contax IIa .."she"'s a beauty. I'm sure the "old school" will bring you back. I love taking time and using old classics helps. Imagine just shooting using your practiced judgement for exposure. That Voitlaender meter can be worn as a necklace you know .. or use the Contax's meter .. for both in your comparison. Please come back with some results for us! </p>

<p>Rose, you have a beautiful specimen of a camera. Go forth and use it often. Post many results. Revel in the ignorance of those who do not understand the way. The loss is theirs. I've recently been seen in public with my Yashica TLR. I haven't noticed any funny looks. Maybe the camouflaged cowboy hat intimidates them. <br>

:-)</p>

<p>She's a joy to shoot. Yes, she takes getting used to - but I find that I really enjoy that focus wheel. Holding the lens - to rotate it, isn't as comfortable. Rotating the Diaphram - also not as comfortable. But, that little turn wheel for focusing - it makes sense - the right hand is perfectly comfortable with the finger on that wheel, and then raised to take the shot. <br>

Do I miss the film advance lever? ... the rotating wheel is a strange feature that takes getting used to. change the shutter speed, and instead half crank the film... it's very easy to start that wind process and not realize you're doing it.<br>

I'm enjoying the camera quite a bit. It's so pretty. <br>

I don't wear a funny hat. :) And I am shy so I don't keep my camera in hand unless I'm aiming to shoot it. <br>

If someone looked at me funny ... I guess I'm glad I stay away from crowds. In a crowd, I'm not inclined to use a camera - I'm to busy getting out of town. :)</p>

<p>Ah James, then this will win you to my lovely iiia. :)<br>

copied from Henry's email from when he was working on the overhaul: "I am far along in the reassembly of your camera and see nothing in it that requires anything in the way of replacement parts. Its shutter is very good and the light meter is extremely accurate." <br>

The camera was in pretty good shape - it was the lenses that needed significant work.</p>