Sister is paying for shoot, but brothers want copies

chaz_s

<p>Looking for some input here.<br>

I shot about 450 pics of my sister's 20th wedding anniversary that most of my large family attended. She is getting a thumb drive with the pics that I cropped and color corrected, so she is paying for my services. other family members want copies of the pictures.<br>

Not sure how to handle this situation. Do I charge others for the pics and reimburse my sister or just let her distribute what she wants?<br>

I'm keeping the original raw pics and the finished product but providing her with copies. This is really weird to me. I don't feel right telling my sis-in-law, "No, you have to go thru Elizabeth."<br>

Maybe upload the pics to a file sharing site for the family/friends to see, then what...?<br>

<br />Comments appreciated.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Chaz</p>

<p>Chaz, first rule is that you don't charge family, at leat IMHO. Either you do the job for free or you don't do it at all. I would 1) refund any money your sister has paid you and tell her "it's a gift, I love you too much to take your money" and 2) put the pictures up on Shutterfly, SmugMug or similar site of your choice where the family can view the pictures, download the files and order any prints they want at cost from the lab. Send everybody an email with a link and be done with it.<br />Trying to do business with family just has too many risks that can lead to fights and resentment that can last for years.</p>

<p>I can think of one tricky situation. If there is a family member that doesn't get along with your sister, she might not want them to have copies of the photos. The easiest resolution is to tell people that your sister has copies of all of the photos and that they can get copies from her. This is what usually happens anyway. Or the pics all get uploaded to FB or G+.</p>

<p>As for getting paid for those electronic copies, forget it unless someone wants you to make them a print or put together a book. You were paid for the job, not for every copy of a photo that's shared. How could you ever hope to keep track of who shares files with each other?</p>

<p>G+?<br>

thanks for the great responses.<br>

As much as I need the money, I don't need the headache. My sister's just a <strong><em>little</em></strong> bit of a control freak.<br>

I uploaded the pics to shutterfly. She hasn't paid me, yet. If I tell her I'm not taking her money for the job, and want everyone who wants copies to have them, and send her a thumbdrive with all the pics, then she doesn't get to control it and my sibling's feelings don't get hurt.<br>

Not sure how to set up shutterfly for password only access and free digital downloads. Don't want the general public getting access to them. Or should I just charge a buck a piece and ask them to respect my time, energy and $ outlay and not share them? My thinking is that everyone else pays a buck a piece, but she gets all of them for free. Thoughts?<br>

Chaz</p>

<p>The terms should have been agreed upon in advance - in writing. If you 'change the rules' now that the job is done, it might impact people's impression of you, and it might discourage others from using your services in the future. Is that what you want?</p>

<p>For now, if your sister has copies of the photos, let people know that she has them and that they can get copies from her. You've delivered your product, and you're out of the loop.</p>

<p>And if she doesn't pay you, that's a private matter. Maybe she can do you a favor in return.</p>

Send her the thumb drive. Now she has all the pictures. If anyone asks tell them, - "Oh, I sent all the pictures to Sis. You will have to ask her." And to Sis a card with the thumbdrive - "Here are all the pictures. They are my wedding anniversary gift to you."

Now go watch television or read a book.

James G. Dainis

<p>The only thing you should change is whether to charge her but If I were her I would be mad if you let others have the pictures without my permission. She asked you to do something for her, for a fee or free or for whatever, you accepted it you have to let her have it. Giving others the pictures without her permission is like hey I am a street shooter and I am not doing anything for you.</p>

"Send her the thumb drive. Now she has all the pictures. If anyone asks tell them, - "Oh, I sent all the pictures to Sis. You will have to ask her.""

Maybe "Sis" doesn't want to field such requests. The sister is in effect the client. Even if the images a given to her for free. No one seems interested in asking the sister/client about what she wants done.

<blockquote>

<p>Or should I just charge a buck a piece and ask them to respect my time, energy and $ outlay and not share them? My thinking is that everyone else pays a buck a piece, but she gets all of them for free. Thoughts?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are over thinking this as was said. I am joining the NEVER CHARGE FAMILY MEMBERS FOR PHOTOGRAPHY. EVER. I would give them to her and let her do with them what she pleases. The other family members can get pictures from her. </p>

<p>"I would give them to her and let her do with them what she pleases. The other family members can get pictures from her."<br /><br /><br />Maybe what she pleases is to not be bothered with dealing with relatives and getting images to them when her sibling photographer can. Apparently calling Sis to merely ask if she would like them distributed is some sort of problem. If she wants to control the images, THEN let her deal with the others. </p>

<p>"Not sure how to set up shutterfly for password only access and free digital downloads. Don't want the general public getting access to them."<br /><br />At my day job, our IT people sometimes use the term STO -- "security through obscurity." In other words, unless the link to a specific web page is prominently displayed on a web site seen by lots of people, the odds of anybody stumbling across it are so slim that you don't need to do anything in particular to make it secure. With your pix on Shutterfly, yes you can password protect them. But what are the odds that anybody outside your family is going to come across them and even more so care enough to look?</p>