Rolleikin Type Questions for 2.8 & 3.5 Rolleiflex

roy_ramavarapu1

<p>I have some questions on Rolleikin types and compatibility. Please help.<br>

(BTW: I did my homework, and searched this forum, but could not find adequate information.)<br>

I see Rolleikin sets on auction sites, and some of them are for the older Rolleiflex that need the "Exposure Counter Knob (not required with Rolleikin 2.8)". I took this quote from http://www.marriottcameras.co.uk/instructions/rolleikin_back/with_pictures.htm, and this section is titled "Rolleikin 3.5 and 2.8". There is also a Rolleiflex body serial number cut off that use the older and newer Rolleikin sets; a google search for the scanned user manual pages will provide this information.<br>

The sets on the auction sites also show Rolleikin cases - some in outside red color and some in black; the black cases are probably plastic. The outside red cases have "Rolleiflex 2.8" and "Rolleiflex 3.5" stamped on them in raised letters - you have to look carefully; the sellers may not seem to distinguish between the two.<br>

My questions will not address completeness of any of the Rolleikin sets - there is considerable information on this subject, and one has to be careful to purchase a complete set - often, the owner/seller may not be aware of what is/are missing in the set.<br>

Question: Is the Rolleikin set specific to Rolleiflex type - whether 2.8 and 3.5?? and cannot/should not be interchanged.<br>

Question: Is there a Rolleikin Type F (I read this in the Rollei Club Forum site) specific for Rolleiflex 2.8?<br>

Question: Yet another site states a Rolleikin 2, and fits a 3.5.<br>

Will appreciate information on the above questions, and will help other users also.<br>

Thank you all, and best regards.</p>

<p>Unless you enjoy collecting Rollei brand objects for the fun of owning them, Rolleikins are probably not of much interest. Think about the various restrictions -- 80mm or 75mm lens, vertical only, image reversed left to right, inconvenient loading... and of course the issues you raise about getting a complete kit and one that fits your camera.<br>

Have fun, but there are great bargains to be had in 35mm film cameras too.</p>

<p>I have a 2.8C with a complete Rolleikin kit.<br>

The camera has the counter for 35mm film and the Rolleikin comes in a black metal case marked Rolleikin C on the front.</p>

<p>I have never used the Rolleikin as it seems a bit of a novelty to me and I don't shoot 35mm anyhow.</p>

<p>I can't help you with the different models but you might find Mike Butkus' camera manual site helpful as he has lots of Rollei manuals including a manual for the Rolleikin.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rolleiflex.htm">http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rolleiflex.htm</a></p>

<p>Fwiw, <em>Das Rollei Buch</em> by W Heering makes no mention of any difference between the 3,5 or 2,8 F regarding the Rolleikin (i.e. he speaks of the Rolleikin only in the singular). I <strong>believe</strong> type 1 was for the pre-F models, while type 2 is for both of the Fs and the Vb (as well as the Tele and the Weit).</p>

<p>I have an excellent Rollei reference: <a href="http://www.ammonitepress.com/TheClassicRollei.html">The Classic Rollei by John Phillips</a>. It has several detailed pages on Rolleikin sets.</p>

<p>It says there are early Rolleikin sets from 1933-39, then came the so-called Rolleikin 1 sets from 1939-50, followed by the Rolleikin 2 sets which are compatible with all Rollei TLRs since 1949 except the 4x4 and Rollei Magic models (though some models require a compatible back which may not have been supplied as standard).</p>

<p>In the case of the Rolleikin 2 sets: "Cases for the sets are marked variously Rolleikin 3.5, Rolleikin 2.8, Rolleikin C or just Rolleikin. The 3.5 or 2.8 sets differ only in the size of the lens hood mask. If that is considered unimportant a 3.5 set can be used on a 2.8 camera and vice versa. The Rolleikin C sets were designed for cameras (such as the early 2.8s) already fitted with a 35mm counter and were supplied without a counter of their own."</p>

<p>I have found the book well worth the small investment. It's very comprehensive with this kind of information.</p>

<p>Thank you all very much for the excellent information; Colin O's quote from the Rollei reference book provides good information on the subject, and thank you very much for the quote - it will be very useful to others (like me) who do not have access to the book.<br>

Best regards to all.<br>

Roy Ramavarapu, 13 Aug 2013</p>

• 2 weeks later...
My Rolleikin came in a brown case, FWIW. I use it on a 3.5F, which works out to a moderate telephoto lens--80mm-- on 35mm film. This is an ideal focal length for portraits. Also, you are only using the best part of the lens: the center. By putting a prism on the camera, I can shoot at eye level with the image corrected for UD and RL. The results are fantastic.