memory card failure

<p>I recently took a lot of photos on my Lexar pro 16BG 400x. I put the card in my pc compactflash slot and no response. I click on the drive and get an error something about invalid system file. I put the card in my card reader and plugged into pc and got a prompt "Card not formated. Must be formatted before you can use it"<br>

So obviously I'm in a sticky situation so here is some questions:<br>

1. What recover programs (paid/free) would you use to try to recover images? I tried 3 of them and they wouldn't work.<br>

2. If I format the card (last resort) will I still be able potentially recover files?<br>

3. Is this a common thing and after reformat card will be as good as new or can I expect this to happen over and over with this card?<br>

Thanks for your help!</p>

<p>the camera formatting could be different than what the computer expects or can read.<br>

I have that problem,. the sd card as soon as I put it in the camera was formatted.<br>

but when I tried to read it ion two different computers nothing was found<br>

I put it back in the camera and used the manufacturer's software.<br>

everything was downloaded to the computer and was readable.</p>

<p>William, what camera are you using, and are you able to view the photos on its LCD screen (assuming it has one)? If not, then no images were recorded on the card and you won't be able to recover them. First, check the camera manufacturers website and make sure your camera has the latest firmware update. Then, format your CF card in the camera, and run some test shots to see if that fixed the problem.</p>

<p>William - </p>

<p>1. File Scavenger - it's a pay program but it flat out works. It's something like 29.95 or so - US - very cheap for what it does. I've had cards go bad and the computer refuse to recognize that there is a card in the reader, but File Scavenger always manages to find the card and recover the files. </p>

<p>2. Most formats now do not physically erase the files that exist on the media - which is why recovery programs work. Not that I'd jump right to a format, but just saying - that if all else fails. Back in the stone age of computers (1980's) every format DID actually erase all data on a drive. But with windows xp, microsoft changed that so the format now only modifies the directory and links to files. </p>

<p>3. I have had it happen with a couple of the larger (16 gb +) cards. Since it happened the first time, I have double checked all my drivers and made sure they are up to date and haven't had any issues since. </p>

<p>Based on what you're reporting - I'm thinking it may be a driver issue with your computer. Make sure everything is up to date. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Awesome thanks for all your input everyone. I have outsourced the card to "pro's" but nothing short of at least $299.00 to start the recover! I will go with a format (after I have tried File Scavenger) to see if I can recover them.</p>

<p>Much appreciate all your time and input!</p>

<p>Billy</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I have read these comments from others sites;<br>

If the Memory Card was new, it should be Formatted in Camera the FIRST time you use it, before any images are created on that new Card.<br>

Also only insert or remove a memory card when the Camera is in the OFF mode.<br>

Each time you load you images from your Memory card to your Computer, Re-format your Card in your Camera before you attempt to create any more images.<br>

Do not re-format memory card in Computer, or delete individual images while card is in Computer.<br>

Also, do not delete individual images from a card while in camera, only use the re-formatting technique to delete all images on card at same time, after they have all been loaded onto your Computer.<br>

I personally do not know why these suggestions were originally made, or if they are really accurate ideas, but I read them myself and decided to pass them along for your consideration.<br>

If someone knows if or if not these above statement are accurate, and Why, please let me know for my own learning knowledge.</p>