Polfilter for the Pentax DA-21mm limited wanted

markus maurer

<p>Hi Pentaxians<br>

I'm now the proud owner of the Pentax-DA 21mm limited and looking for a good polfilter solution.<br>

I will try a 52mm polfilter with a 52-49 filter adapter and then use a 52 wide angle metal shade, do you have a better and less bulky solution? The Kaesemann slim filters cost quite a lot here, so I look for a something a bit more affordable. Could I mount a 43mm filter directly on the lens? thanks in advance.</p>

<p>On that lens, the 49mm diameter is oversized to accommodate the lens hood mechanism. Why don't you just hold the larger filter that you have over the glass with one hand and shoot with the other?<br>

I purchased a 77mm polarizer years ago that I simply hold over all my other lenses. </p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>I don't agree that the 21mm is especially wide here. Seeing as Markus just concurrently posted the thread right above this one as well, as well as the 21mm being an APS-only lens, I'm assuming that the camera is a K-5 or K-7, which means that everyone running around with their 18-55mm lenses (or 18-135mm, 17-70mm, 16-50mm, etc) are shooting wider than he is. Even the various smartphones have a wider angle of view than the 21mm on any of the APS Pentaxes. A 32mm equivalent focal length is just slightly wider than normal, which makes a polarizing filter perfect.</p>

<p>From a quick search, yes, it looks like 43mm filters will mount inside the included hood. This will allow you to use a hood and filter at the same time. Alternatively, you might consider just using a filter, as with the very few number of elements in the lens, it is not as sensitive as other lenses are to flare. </p>

<p>I don't have the 21 but I do have the 15 and 40 Limiteds. I bought a 49mm polarizer (same as that B+W) for those but have found they don't seem to need it. I got more flare with it and I still get great punchy colors and blue skies without it.</p>

<p>Markus,<br>

As I assume you are aiming for a circular polarizing filter do realize that the hood enclosure around the filter on a DA 21mm LTD. prevents any rotation, thus rendering the filter mostly useless. That's why I recommend just holding a larger filter in front and rotating it as needed.<br>

Also, polarizing filters are not intended to control flare, rather they overcome glare. In fact, cheap non-multicoated filters will contribute to flare. Be sure to get one with high quality coatings.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>Polarizes are not best for wide lenses, as they could easily result in uneven polarization, since angles of light on opposite sides of the lens are quite different in respect to direction of the incomming light.</p>

<p>This was discussed many times before, with examples of eneven polarization shown, as well as uneven color rendition, using the best Singh-Ray and B+W circular polarizers.</p>

<p>I use a 43 mm B+W UV-haze filter on the lens shade of my DA 21mm. It is a standard one, with a thread on the front, not one of the super slim models. I think that it may cause additional flaring, but I like to keep my lenses protected.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Congrats, Markus. This is my favorite lens. It seems to always do what I need it to do, and I like the focal length. Bearing in mind it's basically the same FL as the 31mm Limited is on a film camera. Of course, it's neither as fast nor as bulky, but for my uses, it's fast enough, sharp enough, and the lack of bulk is ideal.</p>

<p>I have no advice on the filters, I use a Marumi slim filter for the polarizer, for everything else, the attached lens hood remains on. it protects the lens and just works. </p>