Responding to qritique and other messages?

solamnus

<p>Martin Andreasson,</p>

<p>I invite you to take a look at most of over 1,500 [of 1,900] photos in my portfolio in which there is a continuing dialogue between me as poster and those who comment. Nearly everyone who posts anything of remote value under a photo of mine can expect a response, and in nearly all cases get a polite 'thank you' at the end for taking the trouble to share.</p>

<p>I get some terrific critiques too, not just 'nice photo' or similar 'critiques' but full blown, well-thought-out and very articulate observations and remarks from time to time -- some are worthy of publication in themselves.</p>

<p>Subjects of our mutual colloquy begin with the subject of the photo in most cases, but since the photos often touch on the humanities and the human condition, and my photos often have attracted some of the most thoughtful and interesting comments on this service, the comments have not just been confined to criticism and commentary on the photo itself but ranges into discussion of underlying conditions relating to the photo circumstance and the human condition including the people/place where the photo was taken.</p>

<p>Ancillary subjects have run the gamut from economics, politics, poetry, literature (captions often are inspired by literature), history (there are many historical references in the photos and/or the discussions), arts, theater/film, and . . . . .well you get the idea.</p>

<p>It's impossible to categorize well over 16,000 comments into 'subjects', but for a few they make interesting reading, some tell me. There are some detractors, but they are far outnumbered in feedback by those who enthusiastically endorse this method.</p>

<p>Not everyone agrees with this method of colloquy, but others (and my private e-mail) tell me that for some the colloquy is sometimes a popular Photo.net feature that at times attracts members and other contributors beyond the merit of the posted photos themselves.</p>

<p>That colloquy between me as poster and those who critique can be great fun if done respectfully, and in the process one can make loads of friends and acquaintances.</p>

<p>Private e-mail is fine for private thoughts and same for the message service . . . . . as there are some things that should be said personally, but many times newbies who are not yet ready to contribute or members who are not articulate (or just not articulate in English), read the colloquy with an eye toward learning about photography and an eye also toward learning how to fit into this service.</p>

<p>I always write with an eye toward such silent observers by, for instance seldom abbreviating with terms such as OOF (out of focus), etc., as I know many newbies are not going to know what that stands for, and it may be weeks or months before they stumble on the answer or they may just not contribute and even leave for feeling 'left out' and 'inadequate'.</p>

<p>I try therefore, to write inclusively of all members, rather than in some hifalutin manner, but colloquy subject matter is definitely not confined to the most basic.</p>

<p>A few others engage in this style of commentary, which I picked up and adapted from the style of one member who responded to every commenter. I adapted, and then added my own thoughts in return. One photo critique thread is one of Photo.net's longest of all time.</p>

<p>I now can think of many members who now follow this method of critique/response/colloquy, and do so in a respectful and respectable manner, and remember that I learned the core from another member who simply and politely responded to each and every poster.</p>

<p>Few want to contribute an elaborate and well-thought-out post to someone's photo never to hear anything back from that person, as I did once on one highly thought of photographer's wonderful photo.</p>

<p>I never posted another critique to his portfolio, because I knew he read the post, and he spoke and wrote wonderful English, but never posted anything, not even a simple 'thank you'.</p>

<p>Photo.net is about sharing and respect. [it was not always that way when I first joined, but it has evolved well.]</p>

<p>You can do things in your own signature way; mine is only one of many such ways.</p>

<p>If one reads the colloquy both under my photos and the remarks in the 100+ pages of comments (part by me) authored by me about 'how to take street photos -- tips and techniques' often related to individual photos, there really is enough to simply extract the posts, rewrite them, and make them into a full-fledged book.</p>

<p>When asked for advice about 'street shooting' I just advise those inquiring to start reading those posts -- and I have been assured many do, because so many are written to be read far into the future, not just for the person I am responding to at the moment in the post. I write in each post many times for a larger audience.</p>

<p>In essence, I've been authoring one or more books in those posts with the task before me to put them together, rewrite them and publish them -- a task, underway now.</p>

<p>You needn't copy me or my style; do things your own inimitable way that you'll feel comfortable with.</p>

<p>Best wishes.</p>

<p>john</p>

<p>John (Crosley)</p>

<p>@John. I just browsed quickly in your portfolio and will look closer when i have time. You have some great shots in there for sure. Will be a pleassure looking through your photoes later on.<br>

/regards Martin.</p>