New 70-200 f4 sent out for repair - focus problem

ellery

<p>Not sure if this is helpful....but I just wanted to tell you that I had a problem with my new lens I bought back in the beginning of April.<br /><br />Suddenly yesterday the focus went all haywire...prior to this is was working BEAUTIFULLY....next thing I knew, I pressed the shutter to focus and the focus went all schizo on me....going all the way in and out as if searching for focus, but also stopping in between and going back and forth making a slight jarring noise when stopping and going....<br /><br />Does the same thing on my D7100 and D90 bodies....3 other lenses focus worked perfectly....I tried it with VR on and off...tried different focus drive modes and all that....checked the connection....perfectly clean....<br /><br />Called Nikon yesterday and when I put the phone up to the lens and allowed her to hear it, she said I would need to send it in for service.<br /><br />I have NOT dropped it...so Im not sure what went wrong? well, at least it is under warranty....have never had one of my lenses have an issue requiring service so far...im nervous....I have LOVED this new lens, and it is painful now to wait for it to get back :(</p>

<p>If it helps, I recently had a VR problem on a 70-300mm and Nikon fixed it in just a few days. One advantage I have than many don't is that I live just 25 minutes from a Nikon facility so I was able to deliver and pick up the lens.</p>

<p>I assume that is the case....my guess is that there are certain types of damage that have "drop" "signatures" - damages that are very likely due to self inflicted damage vs. defect? <br /><br />Everyone who breaks such a lens, will claim they did not drop it....I would hope that they can tell the difference and also they would not just claim drop in most cases even if it is not evident to avoid the costs.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Just as an aside, even if it's under warranty and Nikon say you dropped it, I think you still pay...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is why I carry "all hazards" insurance on my camera equipment. If I drop my equipemnt, the insurance company pays.</p>

<p>What sort of warranty does Nikon USA foist on you poor consumers there? Reading some of the posts it looks like Nikon USA is pretty unfriendly. Its certainly not like that down here (Singapore). 2 year statutory warranty and not much grief or argument. For damaged lenses they usually just replace the lens, send yours off to Japan, get it back and sell it as refurbished (obviously within reason).</p>

<p>I once saw a photographer drop his D3 and 24-70 onto concrete, lens down. The body was fine but the lens shattered into a million pieces. We were all standing around and there was this collective intake of breath, then silence. How do you do that? I'm always very careful.</p>

<p>In 40+ years I only ever dropped one lens, a 105/2.5 and it survived. I had to straighten the sliding lens hood with a hammer and pliers. Works perfectly. Awesome build quality back in the day. Not now. It seems that the internal focus bits are what go wrong a lot of the time.</p>

<p>I use a neck strap all the time...and this lens has not a single blemish or mark on it. Im not really sure how they could claim drop (although I suppose technically it would be possible to drop it, and it would leave no mark)....<br /><br />I am powerless...alls I can do is wait and hope I am not turned down at this point....if they claim drop, what the heck could I say otherwise? Nothing I am guessing....except to express irritation with Nikon.<br /><br />Again, to be clear, they have not assessed the lens yet folks....I may be naive, but I am perfectly hopeful that they will simply cover it...<br /><br />Brooks, likely very sound advice....if this all goes bad for me, Im sure my future decisions will bias in that direction.</p>

<p>Nikon covered under warranty....got the approval email today and will just await for them to finish the repair and mail it back to me!<br /><br />Thanks Nikon. At least the fixed the freaky problem without annoyance...or so it appears so far.</p>