Say Cheese, how to combat !

<p>As I somewhat transition from regular/advanced amateur to the point of starting doing some work for money, I am photographing kids. I am encountering the typical "Say Cheese" instruction from the parents while I try to capture their natural expression. They give instructions to the kids while I am shooting; "Smile", "look at the camera", and the hateful "Say Cheese" totally ruinning their personal natural expressions as they obey. <br>

What do pros do ?</p>

You have to set up the parents before you start shooting. Let them know you've got this under control and that you need the space to relate to the kids. Jack Reznicki has a nice children's series on Kelby Training. That one alone might be worth the $25 monthly fee for you. Anyway, he taught me pizza, french fry, and fuzzy pickle. He's got some good tips for keeping the parents in the background as well.

<p>You can tell the parents not to instruct their kids, but there is still a grin-for-the-camera reflex that most people, especially kids, seem to have. It often goes away when one takes excessive "test shots." With some people you HAVE to take a shot or two their way and then also take a several your way also. Once you've grabbed an image their way (grinning stupidly at the camera), they are satisfied and will stop bugging you. I've also found liveview helpful, as long as you hold the camera down at waist level and not in front of your face. Then it just looks like you're fiddling with your camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>" I am photographing kids."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Are you photographing them indoors in a controlled environment for portrait-type shots, or in their natural environment for candid shots? </p>

<p>If it's the latter, I've found the best way is to engage in a chat with a child and frame'n'shoot as we talk. We can even be walking as I circle around. They get used to it very quickly and some of my best pictures come from Art Linkletter types of conversations:<br>

<a href="

<p>If it's more than one child, then I'll just be a fly on the wall and let them play and be kids while I stay out of the way but shooting as we go along. </p>

<p>A parent should let you take over if they see you're succeeding, as most times they "interfere" because they want their child to be at their best. </p>

<p>Oh, boy. One of the non-joys of photographing kids which is usually fun because kids are fun is the "cheese" business. I'd have wonderful photos set up of school kids and at the exact wrong moment the teacher says "say cheese."<br>

At least we are beyond the old "is that a Polaroid camera?" when you shooting with a Nikon or Hassey. You have to assume the "cheese" thing is going to come up sooner or later and be prepared for it.<br>

In some cultures people think you are stealing their soul by taking their photo so things could be worse. You have to assume control of the situation. If that is not your innate nature do not worry, you'll learn how to fake that before long. You need to do whatever it takes (in a nice way) to get those photos that are just right. It ain't always easy.</p>

<p>I blow raspberries to get a laugh and take a couple of quick shots when that is going on. <br>

I have to shoot presentations at schools for a local recycling business and find that providing the children feel comfortable, they are pretty helpful. </p>

<p>My comments as an amateur. I like shooting candid shots on the streets. Many great opportunities have been lost when the parents caught me and asked Johnny to say cheese.</p>

<p>On occasions, friends and family members who like my candid shots would ask me to photograph their children. So I have a leg up to begin with, since they seem to know what they want and what to expect. But often they would still ask their children to say cheese, perhaps to help me. Especially when Johnny is not paying attention to me, and I keep pointing the camera forever without releasing the shutter. Since they are friends and family, and I'm an amateur, I have the luxury to tell them (with a grin):</p>

<p>- It's a photographer's job to wait for the right moment, and I have all the time in the world.</p>

<p>- If Johnny poses, you won't get the kind of candid shots you like.</p>

<p>- If you really want to help, get me a cold beer. I shoot better when I'm relaxed.</p>

<p>When the adults respond with laughter, Johnny sometimes would join in. And there's my shot.</p>

<p>If I were a pro, I would apply some similar tactics. I would present samples of candid shots as well as "grin-like-an-idiot" kind of shots, and see which ones the clients would prefer. If they want the latter, I would say Halleluyah. If they want the former, I would ask them to cooperate by leaving me and the children alone and giving both of us sufficient time.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not sure its all that important. My reasoning is the 'say Cheese!' and other parental inanities are such a part of American culture, that how the child reacts to those comments IS their natural reaction. Personally, when I was running a portrait studio, I rarely saw a child react in any way other than how they had already decided to react.</p>