Eggleston's larger-format prints 35mm or medium format?

<p>I was reading that William Eggleston made a number of larger prints of many of the orginial photographs that made him famous, 40 by 66 inches instead of the original format of 16 by 20 inches. My understanding was that Eggleston was mostly a lecia/canon shooter. How is this possible from 35mm , my understanding is that 16x20 was the limit for 35mm to get a reasonable looking print, or where these prints shot in medium format ?</p>

<p>I've printed 35mm as large as around 20x30 myself and seen 30x40 prints from 35mm that looked fine.<br /><br />For 40 years, the Kodak Colorama display in Grand Central Terminal in New York was an 18-foot-by-60-foot enlargement (a backlit transparency rather than a print), often made from a 35mm original. Movies you see in your local theater are shot and projected (with the exception now of digital) on 35m film with a frame that's about half the size of the 35mm still-camera frame but projected as much as 60 feet wide (over 100 feet sometimes at a drive-in if you can still find one). Bottom line is that there really is no limit. <br /><br />The key, of course, is that super-large prints are not normally viewed close up. The larger the print, the farther away the viewer usually is. So yes, a 60-foot picture from a 35mm original is going to look grainy and fuzzy up close, but is going to look fine from 100 feet away. In movies, you have the additional factor that each individual frame is only on the screen for a fraction of a second, not giving you time to examine it closely even if you were up close.</p>