D300 Continuous shutter rate

Not Here

<p>I have an issue with my D300 (29,000 actuations). Several weeks ago I noticed the shutter didn't sound the same and gave me the impression that it was dragging (an auditory interpretation only), but my images are coming out fine without any indication of under exposure. This past weekend I shot a baseball game where I tried high-speed continuous release, expecting to hear and record about 6 frames per second. Note that in the past my shutter in this setting makes it hard to press the shutter and not get at least 2 frames, very sensitive. Well, it sounded like it was in slow motion and after testing I find that the high-speed seems to be operating at the same rate as low-speed (camera menu set at 4 fps).</p>

<p>I'm at a loss to explain this. Here's more info: I shoot A priority, the battery is fully charged, I've tried 2 different memory cards and 2 different batteries, I tried manual mode, 2 different lens... nothing seems to change the shutter rate.</p>

<p>Any ideas? Thanks... Mike</p>

<p>For some reason when the D300 is in 14 bit mode the shutter has a different sound to it. Not sure why but I have noticed it on mine. Your statement that the shutter has a different sound would make me want to check and see if I was in 14 bit mode. Also I tend to shoot my D300 in lossless mode.</p>

Well, I feel a tad silly and have elevated you guys to geniuses. I don't recall ever changing that setting but it was in 14 bit

mode and yes, I was shooting in RAW + JPEG fine. In 12 bit mode it works fine. I've always used lossless mode and it

doesn't seem to make any difference to this issue.

Thank you very much.... Mike

<p>Reaching maximum speed (in FPS) it helps to : <br>

- ensure red eye reduction is off<br>

- active D-lighting is off<br>

- use manual focus, or at least no dynamic area (51 points) AF ( use only center point AF..)<br>

and obviously activate " CH" shooting mode...<br>

Surely forgot some settings, but these are the main speed reducing factors<br>

- store Large Fine JPEG files<br>

-Avoid 14bit raw mode<br>

- use manual exposure , at a shutter speed of at least 1/250</p>

<p><strong>C.P.M</strong>...</p>

<p>I don't use red eye reduction or active D-lighting as a general rule and prefer center point AF, so those choices are rarely the problem. Thinking back on this situation, either I inadvertently set the camera to 14 bit or, as is most probable, it's always been set to that and I've never used RAW in CH mode. Regardless, knowing the limitations I can now work around them when necessary. Thank you for your suggestions as well.... Mike </p>

<p>If you set them to 14-bit RAW capture, the D300 and D300S can only capture at a maximum 2.5 frames/sec. However, in the 12-bit mode, they can capture 6 to 8 fps depending on the model and battery type. Therefore, when your D300 is stuck at a slow frame rate, 12 vs. 14 bit RAW is the first thing to check. The D300 doesn't actually sound any different in the 14-bit mode; it is just slower and that is why it seems to sound different. If you capture 12 bit also at 2.5 fps, it sounds the same as 14 bit.</p>

<p>The D3X also has a similar restriction. The D3, D3S, D700, D4, D800, D600, D7000 and D7100 have no such "feature."</p>

<p>Shun<br>

I am sitting here with my D300 and D300s going back and forth between 12 and 14 bit mode. There is a different tone between the two modes on both cameras. I have no idea why but I can hear it. Also I do believe that this has been talked about in the past on this forum.</p>

<p>Shun...</p>

<p>Shhhhh, don't tell the wife but I just ordered a D7100 as a companion body. Once familiar with it the D300 will most likely go to eBay. I had wanted to step up to the D600 but I'm sorta picky and didn't want to deal with the reported issues with dust and/or oil spots. </p>

<p>When corrected that might be my next upgrade, unless something else comes out in the interim.</p>

<p>Again, thanks... Mike </p>