Exakta VX flip-up rewind release lever removal

<p>...Hi, is there anyone here who's familiar with the flip-up type rewind release lever that was used on the early Exakta VX's (same as used on the 'V's) and how to go about removing it from the camera?...I've disassembled several of the later VX's and VXIIA's that have the push button type rewind release but this one has me stumped...I can't figure out how to remove this lever so I can gain access to the slotted screw underneath it that's screwed into the top of the rewind release idler gear shaft assembly that has to be removed so you can then remove the shutter crate from the body...I've found a 'parts list' that has exploded views that showed all the components of the lever assembly but I can't bring myself to believe that Ihagee would intentionally install a lever assembly that had to be disassembled (on the camera) piece by piece with a pin press (or something similar) in order to access the screw on top of the rewind release idler gear shaft...it makes no sense and would surely discourage anyone from attempting to repair anything internally (replace curtains, etc.) on one of these cameras...if this is a 'worst case' scenario though and this lever type release configuration was just a 'hickup' in the production run I guess that would explain why they went to the push button type release on the later versions...again, this one has me semi-stumped, I DON'T want to tear the camera up in attempting to remove it, and if anyone knows something that I may be stumbling all around and tripping over but somehow missing I'd appreciate any info that they would be willing to pass on to me about how to remove this lever easily (IF this is possible)...I've tried contacting several people (without success) who post of these forums fairly regularly and should have experienced this issue in hopes that one of them might have an idea on this but haven't had any replies as of yet so any info at this point would be appreciated and helpful...thanks in advance, Rick Smith...</p>

<p>I do not understand your problem, fully. Recently, I did repair and replace the curtains on an old Exakta with a flip up rewind release. I did not face any problem, such as what you have described. I recall that the flip up pushes a spacer that acts like a brake release on the idler. But my memory is not so detailed. I shall try and look at this again and post a response, if possible. You won't tear up an Exakta unless you use violent force on it. It is made modular in design so everything fits in the right place, only the right way. Best, sp.</p>

<p>Hi <strong>Rick</strong>, I just now looked into my Exakta VX and found the following. The flip up release is placed in a U-shaped cut out in the top plate. So the top plate can be removed without disturbing the flip-up release. I opened the back and found a black thin plate shield that covers the top end of the idler and the wind-on stem. This can be removed when you remove two black screws from below. Are you up to this stage and beyond in your dis-assembly?<br>

What seems to be the problem after this stage? Can you describe? Perhaps, I can figure out a way; perhaps not! I shall try anyway. Usually at this stage it is fairly easy to pull the chassis out, except for may be one or two screws. [Of course, you have to remove the top plate and bottom screws also on the slow speed side.] Best, sp.</p>

<p>...Hey Subbarayan, thanks for getting back with me on this but here's the deal...the slotted screw that's on top of the rewind release idler gear shaft is underneath the 'base'/spacer that the flip-up lever presses down and you can NOT get a screwdriver onto the head of this screw to hold it in place while you un-screw the screw on the opposite end of the idler gear shaft to remove the entire shaft assembly in order to then remove the one remaining screw that holds the chassis in the case...this one last screw is underneath the idler gear on the bottom side of the idler gear shaft assembly and is the last one that holds the chassis in the case and the idler gear shaft assembly has to be removed to access this screw so you can then remove the chassis from the case...the idler gear shaft assembly HAS to be removed not only to access this one last screw that holds the chassis in the case but because it runs through the chassis and the case also...like I said earlier I've disassembled several of the later VX's and VXIIA's that have the push button type rewind release and once you've removed the top plate on the wind side the push button just lifts off and the screw on the top of the idler gear shaft is easily accessible...but this is NOT the case on the early version with the flip-up lever!...the screw on top of the idler gear shaft is underneath the 'base'/spacer and it appears that the flip-up lever release assembly with the 'base'/spacer may have been fitted to the camera in pieces as it has a small pin that runs through the lever that the lever pivots on and through the small shaft that the 'base'/spacer slides up and down on when you flip the lever up or down...this pin appears to have been pressed into the lever and through the shaft with some sort of press (I'm guessing ) but if this is the case it makes little sense as it makes the camera that much more difficult to assemble and disassemble...I wouldn't feel comfortable tapping on this pin even with a small hammer and drift punch as there's precious little room there and I don't think it was designed to be removed this way anyway so I was hoping that perhaps there was something I'm missing here and the reason I posted this question...if you have any ideas please let me know o.k.?...also my thanks to Cory Ammerman also for his link to Zorkikat but his disassembly instructions are for the later version that has the push button rewind release that there's no issues with...I have Miles Upton's Ultimate Repair Manual but unfortunately it's for disassembling the push button type also as are Rick Oleson's disassembly instructions so there's nothing addressing this issue with removing the flip-up lever type rewind release to be found there...like I said earlier also I've tried contacting several of these people who must have had some experience with this issue but have yet to hear back from any of them...so my thanks to you again Subbarayan and Cory and if anything comes to mind please let me know...thanks again and best regards, Rick Smith...</p>

<p>...Thanks Subbarayan, if anything comes to mind to you please let me know...like I said I've looked at it and looked at it and unless I'm REALLY missing something here this doesn't appear to be an easy removal process for this flip-up lever assembly and that's what doesn't really make any sense...unless the tool (or tools) for installing the pin through the flip-up lever and shaft were very small it's very difficult to imagine how they did it...and even harder to imagine how Ihagee would have suggested it be removed by someone out in the field (camera repair people, etc.) to repair anything internal on the camera...the way the camera is assembled with the rewind release idler gear shaft passing through the case and the chassis both and then secured in place on both the top and the bottom by screws indicates that it (as on all Exakta VX's) had to be installed with the chassis in place in the case...and the way the flip-up rewind release lever assembly is assembled would visually indicate that it has to be installed AFTER the rewind release idler gear shaft assembly is in place...and again the 'base'/spacer (that's underneath the flip-up lever) that slides up and down the shaft that it and the flip-up lever are mounted on completely covers (obscures) the head of the screw on top of the rewind release idler gear shaft assembly...so Subbarayan this is where I am and let me thank you for taking interest in this that you have and the time to reply and if anything jumps out at you that I've somehow missed be sure and update me o.k.?...and in the meantime if anyone else here has any experience with this flip-up lever assembly or any suggestions I'd be more than glad to hear them...thanks again S. and have a good one...Rick...</p>

<p>Rick,<br>

I use a Wiha Straight blade screwdriver, size 0.8x40 to tap out the pin. I use my lens spanner to tap on the the handle end of the screwdriver and tap the pin toward the mirror box. It should come out fairly easily. Good luck.<br>

Wes</p>

<p><strong>Rick</strong>, I checked my sample of the VX. It does <strong>not</strong> have the idler anchored to the bottom with any fastener. Does your VX have a rear plate with six screws? That used to be the design in the early VX models. They were similar to the Kine, II and V. Perhaps Wes' suggestion, above, would help you solve the problem. Best, sp.</p>

<p>...Hey Wes, thanks for getting back with me and confirming what I had pretty much concluded was actually how the rewind release lever had been originally assembled on the camera...I appreciate the info on how you went about removing it also and now that I know that this is how it's done I shouldn't have any problem with it...I've ordered a Wiha .8x40mm screwdriver (ever try finding a 1/32 pin punch?...don't bother trying) and once it arrives I'll get back to disassembling the camera...again...for now though thanks again for your reply and sharing your experience, you were a big help, and have a good weekend...best regards, Rick Smith...</p>

<p>...Hey Subbarayan, I believe Wes has the answer to this situation with the rewind release lever and that's the direction I'm headed in now but I want to thank you again also for taking personal interest in this and the time to reply also...to answer your question about this particular VX that I have it's the VX-0 version (first model type) with a 692*** serial # and the 'Z' instead of 'T' on the shutter speed dial...the rear inner panel with the film aperture window is part of the case on this version and is not removable like the inner panels were on the Kine and 'V' models that had 8 (or maybe 10) screws holding it on the case so the chassis HAS to be removed from the case to access anything internal on the chassis...oh yeah, what I meant by the idler gear shaft being 'secured' on both the top and the bottom was by the two screws that hold the shaft assembly together (one on top, one on the bottom)...the large slotted screw on the bottom underneath the idler gear itself screws into the female half of the upper shaft and the slotted screw on the top of this shaft is actually part of the shaft...zorkikat has a pic showing the 4 pieces of the shaft assembly with the top slotted screw/upper shaft, spring, idler gear, and the large slotted screw on the bottom...but I'm sure that the next time you have occasion to remove the black sheet metal cover plate that covers the idler gear, spool wind gear, and sprocket gear on your camera it'll all come back to you and you'll remember it then...it's the same setup on all of them...anyway, for now many thanks again for everything and drop me a line if ever I can be of any help to you o.k.?(pm? can one can do this here?)...for now thanks again and all the best, Rick...</p>