D700 and Zuikos

squareformat

Have any of you pioneering types tried Zuiko lenses via a Leitax adapter on the D700? I've got a few choice Zuikos - 24mm, 50mm f2

macro, 35-80mm f2.8 and the auto tube/135mm f4.5 macro combination - and I'm wondering if they'd be as good on the Nikon as they

are on an Olympus film camera.

Total cost to convert all four would be around 250 euros which isn't bad. The D700 and 35-80 could be the highest quality standard zoom

combo for any Nikon. And the 50 f2 macro, which is too large on an OM2, would be the perfect size for the beefy D700.

I probably wouldn't do it, though, if the optical quality of these lenses didn't, for whatever reason, transfer over to the DSLR. Any thoughts

or experiences?

<p>I have been known to use an Olympus OM-Zuiko 50mm f/1.2 on my Nikon D700. Before there was a Leitax adapter kit available from Zuikos, I had the photographic machine shop S.K. Grimes permanently modify by Zuiko to Nikon mount for a few hundred dollars. If I were doing this again today, I would get the Leitax kit.</p>

<p>It is a wonderful little lens, with superb mechanics, beautiful bokeh, and this interesting, hazy spherical aberration look at f/1.2, but a very sharp rendition all across the frame stopped down. It's not a Noct-Nikkor, but produces a special and unique look, and I much prefer it to the regular Nikkor 50mm f/1.2. The main issue for me is that focusing ring turns the "wrong" way, and, of course, you've got totally manual aperture control and you need to compensate for the metering.</p>

<p>I haven't used the particular Zuikos that you have, but many older lenses really sing on the D700. I would buy one Leitax kit to start with and have a go. I bet you'll be pleased by the results. </p>