Five-letter family

mukul_dube

<p>Those who are familiar with the 5-letter codes used for long by Leitz will identify, in this picture, the following: ELRIM, FOOMI, IUFOO, KOOHE, TUOOG. The family group photo was taken to mark the return, from DAG Camera, of my M2, whose parallax compensation will have been set right.</p><div>00banS-534301684.jpg.8d84554fad4a761f41f07205c4aa0b11.jpg</div>

<p>Congratulations, Mukul. I have often wondered: how useful is such a small tripod? How do you use it most often? I hav read of people placign the tripod on their chest of a nearby wall for stability but I think this must not be very common as I have never seen anyone stabilize their camera this way.</p>

<p>Jim, I have had one of these for 36 years and it is indispensable. I have the smaller ballhead, making it very compact. I am worried to take it as carry on luggage nowadays. I have indeed used it on my chest and against a wall. I have even used it upside down with the legs applied to overhead concrete. It is extremely sturdy. Each leg hub is accurately machined and nestles inside its neighbour. It is very stable.</p>

<p>You should be worried when traveling. Many years ago at the airport I had a painter's bag full of paint tubes, brushes, 2 metal collapsed painter's tripods, etc. When it went through the X-ray machine, all of a sudden flash bulbs went off and I was surrounded by big, official looking people. They had me open the bag, while I stood there fuming and complaining that I was an artist and those were tripods for god sakes. The suits left to go back to their donuts or something, and I re packed everything. No one said anything about the gallon of mineral spirits. Well, we're on a plane w/ tens of thousands of gallons of jet fuel, so what's a gallon of mineral spirits? Today, I would have been arrested as soon as I complained, and that can of turp would have resulted in, well, I hate to even think about it. We take the train these days :)</p>

<p>The table tripod and ballhead is indispensible for a film camera in my opinion. I still carry it with my Canon digital outfit. Takes the place of real tripod for 90% of the time although obviously not as convenient. Agree about security. I put it in checked baggage or I take it out and show it to security if not checking baggage. I place on my chest or up against any surface for instant stability. It goes without saying it is a superbly made piece of kit.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Jim, your question has been answered by Richard and Robin. I don't use it so much against my chest since our late friend Robert Hooper sent me a Schiansky Staticfix brace. When I use it against a wall it is usually with a taller ball head, German though not by Leitz.</p>