Wide-gamut printing labs / services

<p>Can anybody suggest a photo lab / online printing service that provides wide-gamut printing? At least wider than sRGB.<br /> I like Mpix, but they specifically require you convert to sRGB before uploading.<br /> What is the widest gamut that is actually possible to print? AdobeRGB for example? How paper choice impact the gamut, or is it entirely a function of the printer/inks?<br /> Thank you for your suggestions.</p>

<p>Paper matters a great deal. For example, of the two papers I use the most, the matte paper has a much smaller gamut than the luster paper, particularly in the reds.<br>

I don't know whether there are any labs that print gamuts wider than sRBG, but in my experience, the problem is usually the reverse--gamuts smaller than sRGB. That's why most labs ask for sRGB rather than something larger. Bay Photo will accept aRGB, but I don't think it has much impact on the results. I'll be curious to see if any one knows printers that are wider. </p>

<p>www.Pictopia.com. You can download and use the actual ICC profiles for their output devices. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>What is the widest gamut that is actually possible to print? AdobeRGB for example?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Maybe this will help (and no, Adobe RGB (1998) doesn't cut it):</p>

<p><em>Everything you thought you wanted to know about color gamut</em><br>

A pretty exhaustive 37 minute video examining the color gamut of RGB working spaces, images and output color spaces. All plotted in 2D and 3D to illustrate color gamut.<br>

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/ColorGamut.mov<br />Low Res (YouTube):

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>Folks - thanks for the responses.</p>

<p>Stephen - I have contacted West Coast IMaging with some questions regarding the gamut of their offerings. Waiting to hear back.</p>

<p>Jeff - I have not been disappointed with some of Costco's Seattle printing, but I wouldn't say they were a high-quality lab (pretty rushed, high-volume, things get missed sometimes) and I am surprised to hear they will be able to accommodate printing without converting down to sRGB first. I will enquire.</p>

<p>Andrew - Thank you for the video link. I will watch it today.<br>

With regards to Pictopia - their website no longer functions. I found this article stating that they had closed:<br>

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/2012/03/12/news-media-photo-seller-pictopia-shutters-doors/</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have not been disappointed with some of Costco's Seattle printing, but I wouldn't say they were a high-quality lab</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

My experience has strictly been with San Francisco, and a friend has extensive experience with one about 20 miles away, and the results have been excellent. However, this is always a matter of the management and the employees. I have had excellent success with both their inkjet and their chemical prints. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>but I don't think it has much impact on the results.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>There's the rub. Will you be able to really tell the difference - have you tried with sRGB? It is not as bad as you think. Many of these things are just different not necessarily worse.</p>

Robin Smith

<blockquote>

<p>With regards to Pictopia - their website no longer functions. I found this article stating that they had closed:</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Bummer! Thanks for letting me know. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Will you be able to really tell the difference - have you tried with sRGB? It is not as bad as you think.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>For some images, it sure will not produce as nice a print as using a wider RGB working space (as illustrated in my video). Why capture and manipulate wider gamut data you COULD print, only to throw it away because a lab doesn't have a clue about proper color management and just want to<strong> force sRGB</strong> data to their printers to speed up <strong>their</strong> workflow? </p>