I have no place to shoot? Help!

<p>So I'm a teen photographer (17 years) doing my first "big" fashion shoot in about a week. I have a makeup artist, hair stylist, three models, and two assistants. This is a shoot for an online publication.</p>

<p>Now I have had so much trouble with finding an appropriate location to shoot. I was going to use my home studio but I didn't find it "professional" enough and I felt people would feel to crowded and uncomfortable.</p>

<p>Then I went to my high school and asked if I could use the studio they have on a Saturday and she said yes so I sent out a call sheet to everyone about when and where to meet, etc. and then when I went back to the school she said no because no one will be there on that particular date. So now everyone thinks it's at this building when it's not and I'm in a serious time crunch to find a new location and make sure everyone gets the new information.</p>

<p>So I'm really lost on if I should just do the shoot outside (and if I do it outside where can the hair stylist set up? It's not like we can plug in curling irons in the middle of a nature trail - also snow is everywhere and this is a spring/summer shoot) or should I just go and rent a studio for a few hours? I don't really have much money to spend so $150 for a few hours right now is a lot to me. </p>

<p>I'm just getting stressed and I need some advice! Has anyone ever been in this type of situation before? Help! Thank you.</p>

<p>Sounds like you know a fair number of people. Do any of them belong to a church or other social institution that might have a spare space on a Saturday? Local community centers and similar spots are often very cheap for county/city residents. Any of your friends have a fairly large garage?<br /><br />Are you all set with lights, backdrops, etc, or is that part of what you were expecting to get from the school's studio?<br /><br />Lastly, is there anyone on the school staff that you might be able to talk into being there for less than the $150 you'd have to pay to rent another space? </p>

<p>I've seen some very interesting fashion shoots made in the style of street photography. It fuses the two genres and gives an unexpected twist. It can be quite effective if properly executed. </p>

<p>You'll only need an adequate prep space if you choose this option. </p>

<p>Rebecca, </p>

<p>Many towns have shared studio space available either to rent for a few hours from a studio owner, or as a co-op situation where you join up on a monthly or yearly basis and reserve the space as you need it for shooting and in some cases actual digital processing suite or even darkroom use. These almost always include shared use of at least lighting equipment and props while you bring your own cameras. Call a few pros in your area or the local university to see what you might find.</p>

<p>If that doesn't exist in your area, Matt's suggestion of asking if anyone from your school (the photography instructor?) could be available sounds like the best way to go. Teachers are often dedicated <em><strong>way</strong></em> beyond what they get paid for, so it's not out of the question that you might find someone cooperative on that level. Offer to buy him or her a great lunch and see what happens.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Tim</p>

<p>Is there a teacher at the High School where you go, one that is sympathetic to your photography aspirations & involved in photography classes, that you can call on & ask to help you get 'leverage' with the HS school administrator or principal? Someone will still need to be there to sort-of chaperone you, but the administration is more likley to bend if they get a request from a staff teacher. Maybe you can make a deal with the school, if they let you use their studio for a full day for this shoot, you will do a free shoot for them later on so they get free pictures. Try pitching it like that. On a similar note, if that does not pan out, try calling any Colleges or Universities in your district, that might support a Fine Arts program, and pitch a similar deal to them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Rent a swanky hotel suit for a day/night.<br>

Yes, Leslie has it right--fancy hotel room for the day/night.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Did you two read Rebecca's entire post? She said $150 for studio rental would be difficult, and you're suggesting a suite in a fancy hotel?</p>

<p>Rebecca, I agree with Matt that your best chance is to ask one of your teachers if they would be willing to be at school so you can do the shoot there. My wife, who teaches at the college level, is often making sacrifices for her students, and she's not alone. If you're lucky enough to find a teacher who has a lot of grading to do next weekend, it might be easy for them--they can do that anywhere.</p>

<p>Hector,<br /> She also said she have 2 assistants, a hair dresser and makeup artist. And depending on her location, a swanky room may not be much more than $150. Use the 12hr rate, put it on a credit card, drop one assistant etc...<br /> My suggestion mainly was to rent a room at a hotel...no need to setup decors, more importantly, no headache...</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...