Rolleiflex 3.5E Type 1 Early Spring.

<p>I have been neglecting my Rolleiflex 3.5E for too long. So I loaded it with some Portra 160 VC and gave the camera and myself some much needed exercise after the long Winter. This was my first Rolleiflex purchesed from Krimar Photo Shop a couple of years ago.</p>

<div>00bVq1-529329584.jpg.f81d67c99bca9566306d1c4136d37f3e.jpg</div>

<p>I started out at Branch Brook Park in Newark NJ to check on the status of the Cherry Blossom. It appears they are not there yet because of the colder weather sticking around too long. They are budding at least, and hopefully they will bloom soon.</p>

<p> </p><div>00bVq5-529331584.jpg.ffa09d6e73639008b9f34c8e58789071.jpg</div>

<p>From Grover Cleveland Park I jouneyed to Van Vleck House & Gardens in Montclair NJ. The house is an U-shaped Italianate villa. This is the rear of the villa looking into the U.</p><div>00bVqO-529339784.jpg.6c1fd686fd21a37b8636e40fb20495fc.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shots Ray, I feel your pain about this winter sticking too long. I miss color so much that I spent two rolls of 36 exposure film at the NY Botanical Gardens Orchid show a week ago. At least I had fun...</p>

<p>Thanks for a nice post.</p>

<p>Starvy, thanks for your kind words the Rolleiflex is a pleasure to use.<br>

Rick, when you brought up the muted color fidelity I rechecked film. My past experience with Portra 160 VC were the colors being more vibrant. After checking the film is actually the new Portra 160 not the 160 VC. I have one roll of 160VC which I will use to capture the blossoms.<br>

JDM this Winter is slow in disappearing. This park in Newark NJ is home to the nation's' largest collection of cherry blossom trees. I try to make it to their Bloomfest every year.</p>

I too was taken with the muted colors. You did have lovely skies ! I very much like the Villa shot and I'm sucker for a cool car! It must be a good feeling knowing you haven't missed the blossoms. I fear I missed the Crocus spread here in Düsseldorf, It's just been too dreary and cold to load up color and venture beyond my neighborhood!

I have some Ektar to shoot and I will likely use a Rolleiflex too. Last year was such a no shooting year .. my job (that sucks) just kills my spontaneity!

<p>Love the combination of Portra and the Rollei, nicely muted. Buyers of Digital cameras should look at images like this before maxing out the saturation in photoshop. Nothing wrong with digital, just get sick of the saturated, sharpened and HDR images that seem to proliferate...these are a nice antidote!<br>

I started using Portra when I was just finishing as a wedding photographer, certainly the best colour neg film made.</p>

<p>Chuck, I may have to pick up some Ektar in 120. I have a box of 10 sheets in 4x5 that I will use in my Speed Graphic. I just need to find a place local to develop it. The lab I was using closed a couple of years ago.<br>

Tony, I too tire of seeing over saturated and sharpened images. I like the Portra in all speeds, though the 160 and 800 tend to be in the camera more. I always have a Rolleiflex with me, with maybe a Kodak Retina in the bag also. I get the impression that people are less intimidated with the TLR than they are when I have an SLR.</p>

• 2 weeks later...