Canon Off-Shoe Cord

keith_bogut

<p>I'm a lighting newbie. I ordered a Vivitar FCCAN Flash Cord for Canon cameras, hoping to avoid the (outrageous) expense of the Canon brand. It didn't work. I'm returning it, and now have to decide what to do. <br>

Do I try the next knockoff brand or shell out the bucks for the Canon? It's basically a 2 foot extension cord so $75 bucks seems a tad steep. There must be one of the generic companies that produce good quality stuff, I just need to hear which one.<br>

The wisdom of your experience would be valued.</p>

Oh, I can see the irony alright, but I'm not alone in thinking that OEM take advantage of their customers from time to time. The alternative

you provided me charges half what Canon does (and I thank you for your recommendation). I really don't mind paying for higher priced

gear, in fact, I think that overall, quality is cheap. But there are just some times when you feel like your being taken advantage of.

<p>Craig,<br>

Like I said, I'm a newbie to flash lighting, and it's not that I have a plan as much as all the reading I've done suggests that getting the flash off the camera is advisable. I will be using TTL, but also want to get comfortable with manual control. I think my most likely use of my new 430ex II will be for portraits, using a stand, umbrella, and the wireless control of my 7D. That said, I think I'd use the cord to handhold the flash for fill, and may eventually buy a bracket. I also like to photograph flowers, and I can see using the off-shoe cord to hold the flash at a greater angle to my subject, maybe using gels, for more dramatic lighting options in the garden.</p>