Corporate Headshots

<p>I'm starting to begin my research on Corporate headshots. I'm looking to start taking headshots for social media sites, mainly LinkedIn, and Facebook. I'm exploring different lighting setups and generally feel a 3:1 ratio for male headshots seems to be the most pleasing, while a 1:1 seems most common for a female headshot. <br>

Is there a particular style that works best for each gender? </p>

<p>I have done all the scenarios based on what i liked at the time. General rules (made to be broken) have taught men can handle more of a ratio than women. The other factor to consider is age and skin texture which will also dictate how much ratio to go for. Today I am into mostly shadowless faces shot in a beauty style fashion. What i like you may not like. The more important thing here is what does your customer like or want. I have been told in the past by customers "i don't like that shadow look on the face". Be sure to ask your clients which style they want and have some samples to show them. Good luck.</p>

<p>Mike, you nailed it. Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder. If you show them some different examples and ask what they like, your question will be somewhat answered Do they have some photos they liked of others in their industry? But, as the professional, you are expected to know what is or is not flattering and should be able to discuss that with them and guide them. They dont know clamshell from loop, you should. 1:1 seems too low to me.</p>

<p>Yes Bob also made the good point of "you as the professional should know what is flattering and you should know how to do all lighting scenarios to both meet the needs of your client and make a great image. Don't focus on one type of lighting style, learn them all and master them all. What is good for one may not be good for the other. When you shoot for free you do what you want but when you are hired you do what the client wants. In both cases you are expected to know how to create a flattering image. Practice practice practice.</p>

<p>I shoot social media headshots in London and find that clients often like to incorporate elements of their business in the headshots. I dont mean a logo or their building as profile shots are used very small, but small hints that are in keeping with their work. I have samples at my <a href="http://www.corporateheadshotslondon.com">corporate headshots</a> site. I think this makes the headshots more interesting for the viewer and the photographer as just doing a standard set up will soon become tired.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Grantly i checked out your site and I agree with your point how you frame and use the background very nice. The bigger problem i have is your lighting or lack of on your clients face. You seem to have mixture of daylight and tungsten and bad shadows. The eyes all seem dead without the sparkle of light in them. The black and white pictures on the other hand look better but still seems to be a dominate downward light with no fill leaving the eyes dead. Not what i would call flattering lighting but if your clients like it and pay you then it really doesn't matter what i say.</p>

I'd worry more about what light makes a specific individual client look their best rather than two-sizes-fits-all ratios. Those

kind of published ratios are only general rules, not absolutes. Same goes for where you put your lights. Now sometimes you have a lot of portraits to make in a short period of time and they need to all work together. in that case you need to have a generalized solution that works for everyone. I like having a 24" Chimera Octa2 Beauty Dish on a boom so I can put right over the camera or quickly pivot it away from the camera axis but keep it aligned with the center line of the person's face, and 48 x 48 inch white reflector underneath the camera.