Best shoulder bag with lots of space

michael_sole

<p>I am still fairly new to photography but have been bitten by the bug HARD! I obviously don't have to over emphasize how much fun it is.<br>

In the short time that I have been into this I have amassed a few lenses (and I surely will get more over time and probably a second camera) and other assorted gear. When I bought my Nikon I bought a kit that came with a large amount of lousy accessories including a camera bag that I have already outgrown. I have been looking on Amazon trying to find one but without touching and feeling its hard to truly know.<br>

So I am looking for a new bag, one with space for a camera and maybe four lenses, filters and perhaps even a hook for a tripod (not sure about this as when I am "out and about" I'm usually taking a monopod and using it as a walking stick but there are times, like this weekend, where I will take my tripod too). I prefer a shoulder or messenger style bag as opposed to a backpack as I tend to change lenses a lot. I could spend up to $100 or even more but would probably like to keep it around $60 or under. Price is less the object and getting the "right" bag is much more the target.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>There is no 'right' bag, that's why there are hundreds and hundreds to choose from and everyone owns a half-dozen. The <$60 target is going to be hard to hit w/ a decent bag. Also, don't overbuy gear and over-carry all the weight. It's about having fun and learn to 'see'.</p>

<p>I use a Tamrac Pro 8 for a system similar to what you describe. I have a full frame Canon with three zooms and there's enough space for my ballhead when I'm travelling too. Side, front and lid pockets take care of filters, cleaning stuff,my grad kit, as well as cards batteries and the inevitable ironwork, manuals and bits that go with me. I can change lenses, filters etc without taking the bag off my shoulder which is important to me. No lenses filters etc are stacked on top of another and I can grab a lens or filter based on position without needing to see it. I replace the strap with a heavy duty Op/Tech , which seems to me to perceptably reduce the weight. The bag itself weighs c 3lb. </p>

<p>62 yr old tall guy here with some back issues. I have a couple of bags, depending on how far I am walking and the tonnage of crap I'll be taking. I prefer Tamracs, quite a personal choice ... if you can, visit a camera store that might have them where you can touchy-feely, you'll get a better sense.</p>

<p>The Tamrac 5603 - 1 body (poss. barely 2 bodies, darn tight) and 4 lenses plus goodies, is about $75 and externally is 10.5 x 9.25 x 8 inches.</p>

<p>The Tamrac Pro 8 - 2 bodies and 4+ lenses plus goodies, is about $110 and extenally is 16.5 x 9.25 9 inches.</p>

<p>I have a slightly larger Tamrac Pro, and when loaded with my bodies and lenses and goodies tips the scale at 31 lbs. That is quite a load and I find it fatiguing to do any serious walking around with that anymore. I wind up usually with a 5603 size bag and cherry pick my lenses.</p>

<p>I guess I am suggesting that you may find it better to get a couple of bags, in various sizes over time. I once felt I had to carry everything I owned on my shoulder to get a decent photo. I got older before I got smarter. :o)</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>So I was looking for suggestions of bags that people have used and what I mean by the "right" bag is whats "right" for me.<br>

Tamrac is a good brand, I have seen a bunch and have liked them but there are so many to choose from. Thanks guys! I will look at the ones suggested. </p>

<p>I have at least 20 different bags. Some I bought, others came with cameras I bought. No one but you can tell what's "'right' for me".<br /> I personally prefer a shoulder bag to a back pack. Other people the other way around. Occasionally you'll still find a heavily-laden shooter with a vest with huge pockets for lenses, and so on.</p>

<p>It's even tough when people ask specifically for a 'shoulder bag,' since there are still a huge variety and range of sizes of those. I have one shoulder bag (Tenba) that will hold 3 bodies, at least a half dozen lenses, a 17-inch laptop and still more. Those are camera bodies, that is. It doesn't have wheels and it will only just squeeze into the more generous airline allowances.<br /> If I didn't work out, I couldn't even lift the thing. Fortunately, one of the things it will hold is another, smaller shoulder bag of the Domke type to which I transfer the stuff I'm actually shooting with.</p>

<p>What's right depends on what you're doing, what you need while you're doing it, and - most of all - your personal tastes.</p>

<p>The web sites of the major bag makers, and those of the large retailers, provide outside and inside dimensions for each model. Laying out your kit on a table will give you a fair idea of how much space you need. In general, the more kit one carries, the more difficult it becomes to use it</p>

<p>I think it's going to be hard to find a shoulder or messenger bag that's of good quality and costs $60 or less. With that caveat, one bag that I've recently found (from another forum) that really looks very nice is the Think Tank Photo "Retrospective" series.</p>

<p>Here's a link: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx</p>

<p>I think the "Pinestone" bags look especially nice for an inconspicuous and handsome bag. These bags are reminiscent of some camera shoulder bags that were previously made for Leica cameras. At present, my shoulder bag requirements are adequately satisfied with my Domke bags (F-2 Original and F-4AF Pro System).</p>

<p>If I was starting anew, however, I'd definitely give the Think Tank Retrospective series a serious look!</p>

<p>Jim</p>

For a shoulder bag these days I use a ThinkTANK Photo Retrospective 7.

A word of caution about big shoulder bags: the more you carry the sorrier you will be and the quality of your photos will

suffer as well. Why? Because the more gear you carry the quicker you will physically tire. That will affect your powers of

concentration. You will also become a slave to your gear -keeping track of it, organizing it, carrying it. Keep your load as

light as possible whenever possible.

If you absolutely must bring a lot of gear with you use a wheeled case, one that can be a backpack if needed. ThinkTANK Photo makes those too.

I used to use Tamrac but ditched them years ago. I got tired of zippers breaking and seams failing. TTP makes gear for working pros and its designed by working photographers.

<p>I've had Lowepro bags and I won't be buying any more. It's the brand that has given me more grief with zips and stitching than all the others I've had put together. They might be the biggest selling brand around though-so not everyone can dislike them. Is the bag you link to big enough for you?</p>

<p>Picking up Ellis' point, I'm tough on bags since I travel a lot, and I don't baby photo gear. I've had no quality issues with Tamrac Pro series bags at all since I started using them a few years back- and they're well priced. The bag I use for my Canon dslr system is about 4 years old and is in perfect condition - and not even too bad cosmetically. </p>

<p>Though their design is ancient, the Domke F2 and cavernous F1X are nice bags. The F2 can swallow lots of stuff. Compared to newer designs, these don't scream "CAMERA BAG." Get the bomb-proof ballistic nylon versions.<br>

For teensy M4/3 or other MILC gear, almost anything works.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>The bag I bought (Lowepro Nova 200 AW Camera Bag) could easily handle that much gear. It doesn't have an iPad specific pocket but it does have a back zipper pocket that could fit it but I would only use it if your iPad has a case. I would be interested if you found a bag with an iPad specific pocket as well.</p>

<p>I want to second the response by Barry: go to a story (Camera story or Best Buy or wherever) and try it on. This is something you're going to wear so you need to see how it rides on you. There are plenty of good "messenger" bags out there that will hold an iPad, camera and other stuff. But with the iPad, it won't mold to your hip so the bag might bounce if you walk fast...you may end up preferring a light backpack.<br>

Personally, for day trips, I end up using a Tamrac holster. It can work as a sling or a real holster if I need to run or jog to follow wildlife or some other action. It will hold two lens plus a body with a zoom and a few other incidentals (phone, spare battery and SD cards, granola bar, filters, pen and small pad of paper).</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>not sure if this forum has petered out with discussion of camera bags ... but I'll add my two cents FWIW. I myself prefer Tamrac and have always used them, so the brand is just my personal choice. But Tamrac does offer the most sizes, styles and with great details which always meets my needs. I have two DSLRs with 4 lenses in a Tamrac 5612, lots of pockets and two neat slide pockets in front. Quality that should last forever unless you're that rough with stuff. Carry strap is comfortable but I am using an SOS ergonomic strap which helps. Now I do not attempt to carry all this stuff for a hike. A backpack would be better. For a little hike I would use a belt pack. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>The Lowepro I got is almost the same, insofar as capacity is concerned. I am really interested in anyone who finds a good bag with an iPad pocket. I just ordered the wireless adapter for my Nikon so I make start carrying around my iPad so I can do image reviews.</p>