T3i/T4i vs. 60D viewfinders

mark_pierlot

<p>I have a friend who's buying his first DSLR (after using a film Rebel several years ago) and has narrowed down his choices to the T3i, T4i, and 60D.</p>

<p>Since he'll be composing mainly through the viewfinder rather than with the rear LCD, the viewfinder image is important to him. So I'm wondering whether there's an appreciable difference between the Rebels' viewfinders and the 60D's. I've haven't used any of the bodies in question, so I can't offer him much in the way of constructive advice.</p>

<p>The 60D will have a slightly larger and slightly brighter viewfinder since it uses a pentaprism. The T3i and T4i use pentamirrors. None of them show 100% (the 60D is 96% I think). The 7D does have a 100% viewfinder.</p>

<p>Speaking from experience, I'd say chose on other features first, and only in the case of a tie consider the viewfinder. There's not all<em> that</em> much difference and you soon get used to whatever you are using.</p>

<p>Best camera? 7D, followed by 60D, T4i and T3i in that order. However the 7D might be a bit confusing. The more options you have the more confused you may get...</p>

<p>Go to a store and handle the cameras. The Rebels and the 60 D are different sizes, and handle differently. That may make more of a difference than the viewfinder.</p>

<p>I was in a similar situation a while back. I handled the cameras, and decided on the 50D, as the Rebels were too small for my hands, and I felt more comfortable with the Canon over the Nikons. But then I handled a 7D, and bought it on the spot!</p>

<p>If that is a primary criteria, I'd recommend the 60D without a second thought. While coverage differences are negligable, the<em> size</em> of the VF makes a tangible, and instantly noticeable, difference. While the last Rebel I've owned is an XTi, and the last xxD a 50D, the difference in the size of the VF of those guys was something that I specifically recall making the 50D better to shoot with.</p>

<p>As Larry points out, handling is the best bet, and most best buys have T3i/T4is and 60Ds on display, and able to be fiddled with.</p>

<p>[[speaking from experience, I'd say chose on other features first, and only in the case of a tie consider the viewfinder. There's not all<em> that</em> much difference and you soon get used to whatever you are using.]]</p>

<p>+1 </p>

<p>I recently downgraded (to get a lighter kit) from 60D to 550D/T2i and have to say that the smaller viewfinder was surprisingly easy to get used to. I'd think that the really big difference is between 60D and 5D. The 60D has an important viewfinder feature however: the capacity to accommodate a replacement focus screen with a grid pattern.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Speaking from experience, I'd say chose on other features first, and only in the case of a tie consider the viewfinder. There's not all<em> that</em> much difference and you soon get used to whatever you are using.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While in many cases this is a great point, in this case, there is very little difference in the performance of these cameras, other than handling (and viewfinder).<br>

...and, When using MF lenses a lot, this is completely incorrect. The size of the viewfinder is a <em>critical</em> aspect to usability (ie the ability to manually focus quickly is <em>very</em> reliant upon the size of the viewfinder). Sacrificing the 'latest greatest' features to be able to reliably manually focus (and<em> see</em> through the darned VF ;-) ), is a <em>good</em> idea. -- though I'd probably recommend neither the Rebels <em>nor</em> an xxD if that's the case. :) That's my experience at any rate... and was one of the key reasons I upgraded to an xxD (and then to 5Ds) from a rebel (and will never go back)... because of an inability to 'get used to it'...</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> When using MF lenses a lot, this is completely incorrect.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Often true, but it wasn't the question that was asked! The OP said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Since he'll be composing mainly through the viewfinder..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So that's the question I answered. When it comes to focusing manual focus lenses there are many things to consider, such as the apparent size of the viewfinder screen (magnification)availability of alternate focusing screens, whether the lenses have AF confirmation chips, the user's eyesight etc. But none of that matters to the OP since that's not the question that was asked.</p>

<p>For the average user using AF lenses (i.e. 95% of all users), the size and brightness differences between the viewfinders of a T3i, T4i and 60D will have little or no importance.</p>

<p>When I'm using manual focus lenses I either use Live View (when I can) or an eyepiece magnifier or an adapter with focus confirmation. Only as a last resort would I depend on focusing by eye on the screen. It's possible and I've done it, but it is tricky and in that situation a slightly larger screen would help a little.

<p>I went from a 500D (T1i?) to 60D in the autumn. Of all the differences between the two cameras, the VF was probably the one I noticed least, in the event. More important for me were things such as the different handling; the top LCD; rear dial; and the swivelling screen. Also, coming from as far back as a 500D brought things such as being able to limit AutoISO, and a small improvement in noise handling. Not all of these things would apply to a T3i / T4i to 60D comparison, of course - I imagine that all of the 18Mp sensor cameras have pretty much the same IQ and noise handling capabilities, for example.</p>