Camera repair

derek_landers

<p>I have an old Seagull 35mm SLR which, for sentimental reasons, I would like to get running without spending too much money. It does not wind on and the shutter does not work although there is power when a battery is inserted. (The self timer flashes and counts down but the shutter does not fire at the end of the ten seconds) I understand this camera is based on the Minolta X300. Am I wasting my time thinking I can buy a Minolta as a donor and having a go at stripping them? Can I buy a repair manual for either camera?</p>

<p>Derek Landers</p>

<p>It would make more sense to find another Seagull of the same vintage for parts, but you may well be able to find a working one just as easily and cheaply.</p>

<p>There are some places on line that have old repair manuals for download, and if the Seagull is as close as some of the other "clones" are to the supposed original, you might find one either free or for a minimal cost.</p>

<p> Google™ "Minolta X300" +"repair manual" to start with, with quotation marks, and then try variations and combinations of those and Seagull.</p>

<p>If this really is a sentimental item, I suggest its wiser to look around and find a good vintage camera repair shop where they have lots of experience repairing vintage cameras. Even vintage 35mm manual SLR cameras have LOTS of small intricately linked parts. If you attempt a DIY repair job you may end up with a useless body and a handful of pieces. Just because you are able to take it apart does not mean you'll be able to get it back together again.</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with either, but JDM gives the best advice here - do a google search and see what pops up. </p>

<p>You might also want to check e-bay. I found one for sale that appears to be in the same condition as yours - won't fire. </p>

<p>As for "based on" - it really depends on how much basing they did. For example the Fuji DSLR's are all based on Nikon bodies - so if an external part failed - you might be able to replace it with a nikon bit, but internally the two are very different. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>If it is based on the Minolta X300 it has an electronic shutter. After 10-15 years a capacitor in <br /> the circuit dries out and the camera freezes up. The shutter release relay gets no power. The <br>

capacitor is under the bottom plate. The problem is finding one small enough to get cover back on.<br>

I have a Minota X370N with same problem.<br /> Best regards,<br /> /Clay</p>

• 11 months later...

<p>Any of you guys have a list of available/recommended repair places in the UK?<br />Found a list on this site for places in the US, but not much help.<br>

Have a few mates around the country that asked if i knew so though id ask around, for different recommended avenues.<br>

They have mentioned couriers like <a href="http://www.youcamfix.co.uk">this</a> but hard to gage reputation.<br />Thanks</p>