I don't need another lens but nice to see Tamron is making them for micro four thirds

GerrySiegel

<p>It is still prototype time for this new lens before it shows its stuff, but a working prototype is my kind of prototype. The nice part is the press release does not say " In mounts to fit Canon and Nikon, sometimes Sony, you all others take a walk." I mean this is the good stuff from Tamron, where it has all the elegant features of that maker's lenses.<br>

I won't buy it myself, don't need the broad range of FLs for now. But I believe others will find it just hits the spot for all purpose shooting. And for video, a quiet motor. Makes for some fun in a too long dry market for lens choice a la 4/3. But not for long, Hurrah. Well a gentle hurrah anyhow. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/31/CP-plus-2013-micro-four-thirds-lenses-from-tamron-and-olympus</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wish they'd opted for a 25mm f/2 instead. Keep the cost down by producing relatively straightforward specs and concentrate on technical performance. Right now I cannot justify the cost of the Leica 25/1.4 and will be going for the Panasonic 20/1.7 at the end of the month, but it would have been nice to get that classic angle of view without spending so much. I'm not one for big zooms, particularly on a MFT body. Even something like a well-controlled 18-40 f/2.5 - 4 would be useful as an alternative to the kit zoom. I wouldn't mind paying "std" price for a much better lens from a 3rd party.</p>

<p>You will like the 20mm 1.7. Zooms take the place of several fixed FL lenses at some aperture loss but keep the load light. I spent a lot for the Panasonic X series,- am I to be impressed by the X imprimatur?- 12-35mm 2.8 and frankly also wish they could have offered it for less . I wince at adding the 35-100 and may forgo that one for all time... But they did not skimp on that smaller constant aperture zoom. Exotic glass types and all...Plus, by yumpin yiminy, Panasonic even<em> included</em> a nice fit lens hood...! For over a grand, they better. They give no hood with the 20mm as if it hoods are OBE. And seek another 40+ dollars to buy one from the company. <br>

I can see a place for Tamron, a high reputation company. We may see competition on price one of these days. Which won't put it at give away prices. Lenses are typically made in plants in Japan, the high end product. Same with high end binoculars and microscopes.</p>