From PC to MacBook Pro

<p>When you say "Catalog", are you talking Lightroom? If so, then answer is yes -- they're completely platform-independent. So is the Lightroom license.</p>

<p>The only thing you might need to do is to tell Lightroom where the photos live, because the path to the top-level folder will probably be different on your new machine. This is trivial to do.</p>

<p>Thanks Mark. Sorry no being precise enough. Yes, I was referring to LR. Actually, I'm so frustrated with my Dell laptop (studio XPS) freezing once in a while, the fan is making so much noise and few other things.</p>

<p>Rich : I regularly clean the intake area because my machine runs really hot when I'm doing video or editing photo.<br /> Howard : My wife is pushing me over the cliff... I will join the dark side ;)<br>

I'm looking at a MacBook Pro with retina as a first "hands on".</p>

<p>The Dell Studio XPS is apparently known to have overheating issues caused by the screen mesh over the vent holes at the bottom as it gets progressively saturated with dust. </p>

<p>The problem is compounding - dust restricts airflow causing heat, the fan works harder to draw in more air which in turn collects more dust. The CPU begins to behave erratically as it overheats from inadequate airflow resulting in bazaar behavior including freezing for no apparent reason. </p>

<p>It's worth perform an internal cleaning of the laptop by removing a few screws. There are many YouTube videos on How-To:<br>

[<a href="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dell+studio+xps+16+disassembly&oq=Dell+Studio+XPS+16+&gs_l=youtube-reduced.1.1.0l2.17355.17355.0.19815.1.1.0.0.0.0.82.82.1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.knTUbgbnNjY">Link</a>]</p>

<p>Just a point of order.</p>

<p>It's <em>Windows</em> that is the 'Dark Side'. Darth Vader version 1.0 before the release of, what do they call those "packs" or something? It's been so long and so happily put out of mind..</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>In OS X, I've had some Adobe programs stop on me, but nothing that has brought down the whole system in at least 7 or 8 years.</p>

<p><em>"My Mac has never frozen."</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

You're not driving hard enough. :-) Seriously, I've had both of my Mac Pros freeze a number of times, requiring hard reboots. It happens and in my case the biggest offender was a slide show software program called Fotomagico. The newer versions seem to have cured the bug that took down my Macs.<em><br /></em></p>

<p>they <strong>ALL</strong> freeze or crash at some point. The OS's are big, complicated and buggy and that is the way it is. It boils down to which you enjoy using to get your work or play done and which supports your usage style and applications best (to your satisfaction) w/ minimal hair-pulling.</p>

<p>For me, thats OS X.</p>

<p>Thanks Steven for that tip. I do have files with the same name in different directories. Better start changing them now...<br>

Micheal : I watched the video. From there I removed the back panel and did some cleaning. Not much dust but it seem to have helped a bit. I'm still planning to go forward with a Macbook.</p>