Coolpix A Price Already Dropping?

wogears

<blockquote>

<p>"Hope Lex gets one to test out:)"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh, me too! Especially with spring at hand in Foat Wuth, it's a great time of year for street photography. I just got back from a walk to the store while toting the V1 and had a great time, got a few decent pix.</p>

<p>Dunno whether the Coolpix A can match the GRD in AF speed. The GRD4 is hard to beat because it returned to the hybrid AF of the original GRD, with much improved technology. A little-known bit of trivia - the GRD4's external AF window is used with the camera set to Auto Snap mode. So if the window has time to lock focus it defaults to that distance. Otherwise, it defaults to 2.5 meters. And that phase detect window is surprisingly capable in reasonably good light, including fairly bright indoor lighting. Much more energy efficient than using the through-lens AF.</p>

<p>And the V1 AF is even quicker. If only Nikon had incorporated the outstanding Series 1 AF into the Coolpix A...</p>

<p>But I might be satisfied if the Coolpix A AF can match the Ricoh GX100, which isn't bad. The GX100 AF is pretty quick in fairly bright light, although it's considerably more sluggish than the GRD4 in EV 6 or dimmer lighting - typical low indoor light.</p>

<p>Ideally Nikon would include a snap focus preset for zone focusing. They neglected that with the V1, so I'm forced to guesstimate using the coarse adjustments for the 10-30 VR. And with the CX sensor and 10mm focal length, I'd need to stop down to f/4-f/4.5 for the same hyperfocal setting as f/2.8 with the GRD4 or GX100. With the Coolpix A it'd be f/8, same as my D2H with 18mm lens, which forces using a higher ISO in some lighting. So while the snap focus/zone focus preset works great with smaller sensors, it's not as useful as really quick AF with APS or larger formats.</p>

<p>On the plus side, the Coolpix A would have far better practical IQ than the GRD4, and it'd be noticeable in any prints larger than 4x6. The GRD4 is essentially a close range camera or for frame filling subjects. Terrific for moving subjects which is why it's beloved by folks who take candid pix of people.</p>

<p>But even with slower AF the Coolpix A might appeal to tourists who want to travel light, with an ordinary looking camera, and are more concerned about IQ for photos of stationary subjects - buildings, landscapes, etc.</p>

<p>Gotta admit, even though I'm really not a Nikon fanboy, if I could afford it I'd grab a Coolpix A. Despite the advantages of the Sony RX100 and APS/DX format mirrorless system cameras, the Nikon offers two things I really value: compact size; Nikon flash. User reports on the RX100 flash don't sound good for my purposes. I really, really like the GRD4 flash - it's outstanding and looks great despite biases against "direct flash". If the Coolpix A flash is anywhere close to Ricoh's, and it offers at least some Nikon CLS compatibility, that's a huge plus for me.</p>

<p>If the A could be reliably used as a freewheeling, totally left-on-automatic point and shoot, I could always add that little Leica 28mm finder that's sitting in my drawer. <br>

At about US$400-$500, I just might be irresponsible enough, money-wise, to try it. At $1000, I'd be quite insane. <br>

Here's to falling prices on this one!</p>

<p>I went over to BestBuy.com, and I could not find the Coolpix A on that site. Can you actually order at that $899.99 price? For example, B&H still has the original $1100 price.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>No way would I consider that over the little Canon with interchangeable lenses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I simply wouldn't buy any camera that locks me into just one focal length. I don't care the lens is a Leica, Zeiss (I currently own lenses from those brands), Nikon, Canon or whatever. I need different focal lengths.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I simply wouldn't buy any camera that locks me into just one focal length. I don't care the lens is a Leica, Zeiss (I currently own lenses from those brands), Nikon, Canon or whatever. I need different focal lengths.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And I'm the exact opposite. I own a MF TLR that does exactly that, and I love it. I'm considering saving up for a Fuji X100s. It all comes down to what tools people prefer. Generally though, those of us buying a fixed lens single focal length camera have multiple cameras to choose from (and not all single focal length).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can also search for the SKU number in the OP's screen shot and come up with the individual pages of both cameras.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks. So I found the item, but not the $200 discount, which is the basis for the thread: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+Coolpix+A+16.2-Megapixel+Digital+Camera/8649146.p;jsessionid=9E4A3C66177FB4EA7A1288D8710AD6A7.bbolsp-app02-177?id=1218882638825&skuId=8649146&st=sku%208649146&cp=1&lp=2</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>With the Coolpix A, I think I see yet another DX compact camera added to the sub $1000 price point. I think the price is too high though compared to the D3200/5100 offerings. But for those who want DX dimension sensor performance in a point and shoot, then here it is.</p>

<p>ON the matter of no viewfinder, as this has a foxed focal length lens, the problem may be solved. Put a Voigtlander external VF on it for $150 and be happy.</p>

<p>Is it yet another indication that the entry to mid spec DSLR's days are numbered when there is so much choice in the $600-$900 price bracket? Nikons R&D budget seems to be increasingly focused on high end compacts and FX bodies.</p>