Excessively loud shutter on D7100

marypar4

<p>Wondering if anyone is noting the D7100 shutter is louder then d7000 . It seems to have more of a slap sound to it similiar to the D4.(which I do not own but have had the pleasure of standing next to at a sport event ). My concern is something amiss? Nikon says to return it while under the thirty day option which is a hazzle. I have searched the web but no mention of this issue. Freaking out! Any help appreciated!</p>

I'm sure this is an amazing camera. Go on Y Tube and watch some of the video reviews of it maybe by digirevcon or one

of the regulars and see what they say. It might give you better insight into whether or not that is normal. But if you really

don't like the camera, return it for a full refund before it's too late.

<p>I remember back in 1980, when I was shooting Minolta, and a co-worker had a Canon, discussing the cameras one day, he said that his only complaint with Canon was the noisy shutter. I wouldn’t keep a camera if I was unhappy with it. Anyway, unless you are doing surveillance work . . .</p>

<p>The D7000 (not D7100) is an extremely quiet camera. The first couple of days I had it, I was wondering whether the shutter had fired or not, and it was not in the quiet mode. Later on, I got used to the D7000, but a comparison to that is not fair.</p>

<p>First, I am not unhappy with the camera , concern is more accurate. I have concerns in regard to the loudness ..is this normal or not. I have no way to know as it is a brand new camera. Nikon says this sounds abnormal so they suggested sending back and try a new one. Perhaps I should have waited to see how others were responding to this new model but on paper who could resist. fI anyone has one that can discuss this issues please shed some light.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>fI anyone has one that can discuss this issues please shed some light.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, a discussion about how loud something is on the web rarely leads to useful results. Two people can listen to the same camera firing and have totally different reactions.</p>

<p>If anyone has concerns, it is best to visit a camera store and compare with another D7100.</p>

<p>Will do as soon as a camera store has one in my area..good advice! Lets move on as I see this is not going anywhere as very few have the new camera to make an accurate assessment. Perahaps when Shun gets his and he does his review, we will get a better idea of the various new features etc. Thanks</p>

<p>I think the advice Shun gives is the best. If it abnormal, by all means, seek a remedy. I should have one in a few days, and I will compare it to my D200. I think few people have them right now, so it will be hard to get any user feedback at this point.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unfortunately, a discussion about how loud something is on the web rarely leads to useful results. Two people can listen to the same camera firing and have totally different reactions.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You are absolutely right. Maybe someone who has both could fire them at the same positions relative to a microphone and record, after first making sure that automatic gain control is turned off. It doesn't require a calibrated mike to make a comparison. Is there a way to upload a sound file or video to p.net? Otherwise YouTube will do.</p>

<p>Mary, I just did a comparison with my D3s, D800E, D300s and D7100. The noisiest shutter was the D3s. The quietest? The D7100. I then fired each of them and asked my wife to listen and she agreed that the D7100 was the quietest. They were all very crisp except the D300s. It kind of has a "loose" sound when it fires but makes very good photos. Before sending it back I would do as others have suggested and listen to one at a local store.</p>

<p>Thank Barry for that accessment. I agree the D3s is quite noisy and that is exactly what my D7100 sounds like. I have boxed it up and its going back to the store for a replacement. I am leaving on a one month trip Thurs so need to get this resolved. I sold the D7000 in anticipation of the new one. The replacement will be here Tuesday..so if it sounds the same then I guess I can assume thats the new sound of the D7100. Maybe they are trying to make it sound like the D3 machine gun..LOL. All things being equal, this camera seems to be quite a little gem for the money. Enjoy your new toy!</p>

<p>Got the replacement D7100 15 minutes ago..happily I had a charged battery and just tried it out..amazing how much more quiet this new one is...I am a happy camper. I did buy a new sd card..extreme pro 16g and hopefully that will increase the write speed..all is well in NJ. Thanks for the test Shun..decided to try this new card and I think it will help even with jpegs...writing to the card.</p>

<p>happy to get an update on this, Mary. I thought my D7100 sounds pretty close to the D7000. So, I wasn't to concerned with my copy.</p>

<p>I did some comparison tests with different cards. the extreme pro is twice as fast as others that I tried. def a great choice in card. </p>

<p>I agree the Extreme Pro is the way to go on this camera..it makes a world of difference in this high meg camera. I am happy I upgraded. The autofocus on the D7000 was an issue for me as a wildlife shooter..I thought it was my lenses..as I have a Tamrom 200-500 and a mid range nikon 70-300. I am very impressed with the speed of the focus system on this camera. Very snappy! Both lenses are working fine and locking focus very quickly. The detail I am getting from birds is quite impressive. The annoying plus minus button change on left side is not an issue as you can use the ok button for zooming in to view sharpness. Very handy new feature. At this point I could care less about the D400 if it infact is coming in the fall. This will be my camera for the next 3 years. They only thing I am missing is the LCD switch which turns on the info panel..oh well!</p>