The Riddle of the Sphinx.

<p>My point was simply that, pragmatically speaking, photographs we make are ephemeral. In many typical cases, they are simply not looked at for very long. After a few weeks, nobody will ever drag it out and look at it again.</p>

<p>This is a recent change in how we interact with and use photographs.</p>

<p>This is not a question of intent, it's a function of volume of imagery and the way we choose to share and store it. There certainly ARE classes of images and videos made which are intended to be disposed of, and that is a growing area. It's not the majority, and it's not what I was talking about.</p>

<p>The item about archivally processed museum prints was, really, a parallel observation that I thought was interesting. It's nothing new, it's a point Sontag made 30+ years ago.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>By the way, there's nothing more annoying than being told by someone to make a picture of something. When people in these forums think you're talking to much, from the Off Topic to the Casual Conversations, they tell everyone to go out and make pictures. It was one of Josh Root's favorite, and most condescending lines. When I'm walking with friends or family and have my camera with me, they will often suggest I take a picture of this or that "phenomenon" or "beautiful" thing. Photos are personal, at least to me. Don't need to be told what to photograph.</p>
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!