Portriats of a Serial Killer: Literally

Since the portraits were shot and owned by a serial killer, no. The whole point of using literally was to specially highlight that the word portrait was not being used figuratively as it usually is when the phrase 'portrait of a serial killer' is used.

Any comment on the portraits?

<p>Hmmm... I perused quite a few of these a few years ago when it was believed that many of Mr. Alcala's subjects might also have been his victims. Some unquestionably were, at least so said the jury. Given that I grew up in the area (his trial took place 3 miles from my current residence) I thought it worth looking, just in case I recognized anyone. I certainly don't find them all <em>unremarkable</em>. Besides, what is "unremarkable", anyway? One might think Cindy Sherman's <a href="http://www.artinfo.com/sites/default/files/styles/613w/public/2440_6.1.jpg">Untitled #96</a> "unremarkable" but probably not the schlep who doled out US$3,890,500 for it, right? Or maybe that ridiculously simplistic piece of crap Gursky pawned off on the auction block for four mil and change?<br /><br />Anyway, there is a mysterious intrigue to Alcala's portraits that transcends just their aesthetics. Each and every one of those people found themselves in the presence of a monster. Some lived to tell their story, others did not.</p>