Best data recovery software for lost images?

jamie_robertson2

<p>I formatted my CF card and lost all my images from a recent trip because I thought I had already uploaded them to my computer when I hadn't. I didn't realise the images were not on my computer for almost a fortnight so continued to shoot on that same card and formatted it another couple of times.</p>

<p>I have tried using a program called PhotoRescue and it is able to recover 988 images but only around 30-40 of those are from the set that I need. The software wants $30 to register the program in order to save them. I have no qualms about paying the $30 but, before I do, I am wondering if there are any other programs you guys may be aware of that could possibly dig a little deeper and rescue more images.</p>

<p>PhotoRescue does seem like a decent little program and takes a good 2 or 3 hours to fully scan the card. I also tried the free program called Recuva but it was hopeless and found next to nothing.</p>

<p>I had to use a similar program to rescue my image from a corrupted CF card. I paid up because I had no choice at the time. There may be other programs out there that are free or less costly but I don't think they will recover any more files than PhotoRescue.<br>

You have already said that you have used the card a couple of times and reformatted more than once. If you had only shot a few shots each session then there may be more files to recover but my guess is that depending on the card and internal firmware it has it may not always use and erase the same area of the card ( to improve the life by minimizing the write/erase cycles in the same area of the memory) and therefore depending on how many files/images you have taken since the initial reformatting you will only get a limited number recovered.</p>

<p>I'd check out how well one of the free data recovery packages do. Can't hurt. </p>

<p>I'd agree that if you're finding almost 1000 images on the card with only 30-40 from the set you are looking for it's very very likely (actually pretty certain) that the others you are looking for have been overwritten and are now lost forever.</p>

<p>If the missing images were of a UFO landing on the White House Lawn it's possible that with enough time, effort and money it might be possible to recover parts of them. but it would likely be cheaper to take the trip again and shoot new images than it would be to have someone go though the card bit by bit looking for, identifying and reassembling lost fragments.</p>

<p>Thanks Bob, I did try a couple of the free ones. The best free one is often purported to be Recuva but it was useless on this occasion. I'm now running PhotoRescue again with all possible options set to maximum for the deepest scan possible. $30 seems to be a reasonable price, especially if I had wanted all 988 images. It's just so annoying because a lot of the lost shots were candid street photos and some of them were superb. Not much chance of re-shooting those ;-)</p>

Jamie, never used it, but the SanDisk Extreme cards come with a recovery software named RescuePRO, maybe it's

worth buying one of these cards just to get the software.

Also, in some conventions I seen the boot for a company called DriveSavers, whom are supposed to be professional data

recoverers. Don't know if it's worth the price.

<p>I've had to use the rescue software that comes w/ Lexar cards before. Image rescue? </p>

<p>Yeah, given that you've overwritten the data, there simply<em> is no</em> recovery. It's not like a traditional magnetic hard drive in that respect. Instead of a 'medium' data is written into (say like a sandbox where somebody draws a picture), flash memory is more like a wall full of light switches. ie, in the sandbox, even if somebody draws a picture over yours, you may be able to recover the picture, or at least most of it. OTOH, if somebody comes behind you and flips all your light switches, there is no way to <em>remember, </em>or<em> see,</em> how they were set initially. </p>

<p>Formatting (regardless of the number of times) doesn't change the actual 'switch' settings, so if all you'd done was format the card, the data would still be (largely) recoverable, but the overwriting is the killer.<br>

Regardless of the software you try, or settings you try, I'd predict your software will not find anything more. Even a pro lab has a very very hard time recovering anything more (and then they need things like your camera to test/verify write voltage differentials... even then, most of the time, they come up empty) </p>

<p>Thanks guys,</p>

<p>I do have the Lexar software lying around somewhere but, from what I remember, it will refuse to help if the memory card is not made by Lexar (this card is a Kingston). Kingston have their own data recovery software but it did not recover much.</p>

<p>Last night I managed to rescue a total of 57 images using PhotoRescue. Unfortunately the other 250 that I really needed are gone for good. Remarkably, the software managed to find some images I shot almost 5 years ago during a family holiday in France. It's annoying that it could find those but not the ones I needed from just two weeks ago. As you say, it depends on which files are overwritten.</p>

<p>Exactly. Kind of odd though, my version of Image Rescue works on my older Kingston cards, but no telling. Apparently the Kingston software kind of really sucks! I'm surprised(!) that it sucks so bad it missed 17+ images... I guess that made me wrong in assuming that the different software packages were at least broadly the same... ;-)</p>

<p>Sorry for your lost. <br>

Your case made me wonder now if there is any difference between "delete all" and "format" in terms of recovery. I never format any of my cards more than once, since I thought that formatting will wipe out everything, while the deleting just restarts a new index file.<br>

BTW Is there a particular reason you use formatting instead of deleting?</p>

<p>David,</p>

<p>I don't think there is any difference between formatting and deleting as far as being able to recover lost images is concerned. Formatting a memory card is different to formatting a hard drive, all the data remains on the card but is gradually overwritten when you take new photographs.</p>

<p>I have heard rumours in the past that simply deleting images instead of formatting can occasionally give write errors. I don't know if this is true but I always format my card in the camera after uploading my images to the computer. Also, NEVER format your card using a computer, it can also lead to write errors. Always format in the camera.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I agree with Bob, make sure to try out every free software you can find, every data recovery tool is different so one might recover something another may not. Although, it sounds pretty bad, multiple formatting and shooting over it means data was overwritten so don't get your hopes up. I've used Reincubate Recover Files when I had such accidents, works on corrupted or reformatted disks (NTFS, FAT, Flash). Gluck!</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>I suspect that 'Alice Phoebe' is somehow affiliated with EaseUS since this is her first on only post since joining P.N today.</p>

<p>That said I have used other EaseUS products and the pretty much work as advertised (note however that I have not used all of them). The downside is you have to register with them in order to do the download giving them your email address - you will, in turn, get almost daily solicitations from them. TINSTAAFL - There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.</p>

<p>Also EaseUS is not, despite the inference in their name, a US based company but is located in mainland China if that makes any difference to anyone.</p>