D7100 + 18-105 lens on Amazon

nishnishant

<p>Has anyone bought this from Amazon recently (like in the past week)? They only have the body-only offer directly from Amazon, if you want the D7100 kit, then you can buy off Amazon but through 3rd party vendors. I was wondering if I could wait a day or two and Amazon would have the kit directly in stock. Thanks. </p>

<p>I would order from <br /><br />B&H<br>

or<br>

Adorama<br>

or then<br>

Amazon</p>

<p>in that order. My experience with both B&H an Adorama is off the chain excellent. You can't go wrong with either.<br>

Buying from Amazon is like buying from an online bookstore... wait a minute... they ARE an online bookstore...</p>

<p>Usually Amazon is ok, so long as you are paying through Amazon and not directly to someone else.<br>

At least check the big NYC stores (B&H,Adorama, and a few others), sometimes they are cheaper than the Amazon prices, sometimes not. There are some vendors who sell directly on line, through Amazon and on eBay as well. A few of them have very high <a href="https://www.resellerratings.com/">resellerratings.com</a> scores. Sometimes their prices vary by site.</p>

<p>Well everyone's got basically the same price for the D7100 now. Body is at 1200 while the body+kit-lens is at 1500. B&H and Adorama offer 2% rewards but it's points to use on their site and not cashback.</p>

<p>I agree with avoiding 3rd party sellers on Amazon. A touch risky in my opinion.</p>

<p>Nish:<br>

I have been using Amazon for camera purchases for a long time and have had no problems of any kind. I would guess that the kit offer will be back in a day or two. When I have had to default to a third party vendor I have always chosen Adorama and have had no regrets.<br>

I ordered a d7100 from Amazon this morning and they have guaranteed delivery in two days (Thursday). I have Amazom prime and they provide free two day delivery which is a great deal if you buy a lot from them. It costs about $70.00 a year but provides the service for family members living at your home. So far it has been a money saver.</p>

<p>-Cheers</p>

<p>Hey Shun,</p>

<p>I thought of this quite a bit. I did not want to buy Tamron or Sigma lenses although getting 2.8 constant aperture for a good price was tempting. The Nikon 16-85 is rather pricy so I finally thought I'd just get the kit lens. I do have the 35 mm 1.8 AF-S and the 50 mm 1.8 AF-D that I hope will go better with the camera.</p>

<p>Do you have any other affordable lens suggestions for the D7100?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I did not want to buy Tamron or Sigma lenses although getting 2.8 constant aperture for a good price was tempting. The Nikon 16-85 is rather pricy so I finally thought I'd just get the kit lens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>i dont really understand the logic of getting a worse-performing or overpriced nikon lens simply because it's a nikon. i also dont see the point of getting a high-resolution camera if you're not going to invest in a quality lens. the $300 differential between body only and kit lens could at least go aways toward a quality used lens. if you look at the resolution numbers in lab tests for the sigma and tamron 17-50/2.8s, they're about as good as it gets in that class. kind of silly not to consider them.</p>

<p>I had a bad experience with the Tamron 17-50 VC. Got 2 bad copies. Exchanged the first for the 2nd, and then returned the 2nd. I know that's not a fair enough conclusion but mentally I just feel a Nikon lens would be less likely to fail.</p>

<p>@Eric,</p>

<p>The number of bad copy reports is much higher with non-Nikon lenses (or at least it seems that way if you go by what people post on forums like this one). Some people say the non-VC Tamron 17-50 is better than the VC version (with which I had bad experiences) but then I'd lose VC. I just want to avoid the hassle of having to exchange or return lenses - I want to just get a good copy and be done with it.</p>

<p>That said constant 2.8 aperture would definitely be handy! If I had the money I'd get the kit lens and then get the 2.8 non-VC Tamron. Not sure my wife'd be too happy about that though!</p>

<p>Henry, Helen, what say ye? One of the big reasons for choosing Amazon over B&H or Adorama is the easy returns. Free 2-day shipping for Prime members is great too. I've bought 5 DSLRs in the past six months, returned one, all but one bought from Amazon because I know if I didn't like it, returns would be easy. Why can't B&H and Adorama offer free return shipping like Amazon does? How about a club like Amazon Prime to get free 2-day shipping? I'm betting the answer is simple, money, but there is also something to be said for long term customer satisfaction...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Patrick asks: Why can't B&H and Adorama offer free return shipping like Amazon does?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Did you read my earlier post? B & H does offer free shipment on the D7100. And you don't have to pay $70.00 a year to get it. Nish lives in Ohio. From New York where B & H is the shipping by UPS ground or FedEx Ground is 2 days. It might actually be one day depending on where in Ohio. You could not ask for a better return policy than B & H. It has been the go-to place for pro photographers for decades. They are honest as the day is long and very nice to deal with. For the record, Adorama (which is also a great place to buy camera equipment) offers both the free shipping and 2% reward just like B & H.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>it's an easy choice for me...in California, amazon charges tax while B&H doesn't, plus the cheap shipping on B&H is great. and the 2% reward points like Rick said is nice.</p>

<p>the 16-85mm from Nikon is a great lens. I've used it for a day of shooting with the D7100 and have found it to perform beautifully. I wouldn't opt for the 18-200mm. when I compared the 16-85 and 18-200, (I owned both at one point) the 16-85 was far sharper. </p>