24-70mm on Full frame VS 17-52mm on Crop Sensor camera

ling_babcock

<p>I use a Canon 20D, smaller ApS-C sensor camera.<br>

<br />I have been wanting to get a 24-70mm lens f 2/8, because I feel that I can get enough wider angle, and then also zoom in to 70mm.<br>

<br />However, on an Aps-C camera like mine, does it make sense to do that? The wide angle, and zoom, is equally important to me.<br>

What is the difference between a 24-70mm lens on a Full-frame camera, and a 17-52 mm lens on an aps-c camera? will it produce the same image cropping?<br>

For example, would taking a pic at 52mm focal length on APS C camera produce the similar crop or zoom if you took a pic with a 24-70mm lens at 70mm focal length on a full-frame camera?<br>

That's all I need to know... prefer no answers that "depend on" such and such...</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>24-70mm on a 1.6 crop camera will give you the same field of view as 38-112 on a full frame camera.</p>

<p>24-70mm on a full frame camera will give you the same field of view as 15-44mm on a 1.6 crop frame camera, so 17-52 on the crop wouldn't be quite as wide as that.</p>

<p>24mm just isn't very wide on a crop body. 18 on a crop is like 29 on a full frame -- approx. the 28mm that people were used to being "wide angle" on a film camera.</p>

<p>Maybe an 18-135 would be a nice wide/tele combo lens for you?</p>

<p>See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/crop_sensor_cameras_and_lenses.html</p>

<p>But for a brief answer, for the equivalent field(s) of view of a 24-70 on full frame you'd need a 15-43.75 zoom on a Canon APS-C camera.</p>

<p>The 24-70 set to 32mm would give you the same field of view as the (hypothetical) 17-52 set to 20mm</p>

<p>To go from one format FOV to the other format FOV, you divide (or multiply) the focal length by 1.6</p>

<p>There is no<em> exact</em> equivalent of the full frame 24-70 for APS-C. The closest lenses would be the EF 15-85 (which is slow) or the EF-S 17-55 (which isn't <em>quite</em> so wide). The 17-55/2.8 is probably the closest equivalent though. It translates to a full frame 27-88 zoom.</p>

<p><strong>24mm</strong> on full frame gives a horizontal FOV of <strong>73.7 degrees</strong><br />

<strong>17mm</strong> on Canon APS-C gives a horizontal FOV of <strong>67 degrees</strong><br />

see http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/field_of_view.html for FOV calculator)</p>

<p>Hi Ling,</p>

<p>I used the 24-105mm f4L on a Canon 350D camera for a number of years and found it to be OK. The 350D shares the same sensor as the 20D. It all depends on how much you use the wider end of your current lens. I can't deny there weren't times when I yearned for a wider lens but the extra quality, IS and reach of the 24-105 outweighed the negatives for me. Try using your current 17-52mm lens set at 24mm for a few days to see how you get on.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you take two shots, one the 1.6 crop body, one on the full frame, with:</p>

<p>* lens set to the same aperture<br>

* lens having "equivalant" focal length, ie: yielding the same angle of view</p>

<p>There will be one difference:</p>

<p>Since the focal length on the 1.6 crop body will need to be less (by a factor of 10/16 I think), that picture will have noticeably greater depth of focus.</p>

<p>Following up on Mendel's comment, f/ number is subject to the same crop factor as focal length. Same size actual opening, same DoF, regardless of focal length. This is both good and bad. Some subjects call for creamy bokeh and shallow DoF. Longer focal length and larger aperture makes for shallower DoF. A 50mm f/1.4 is very similar to 85mm at f/2. But you won't get the butter softness possible with 85mm at f/1.2. On the other hand, f/4 full frame has similar DoF as f/2.8 on APS-C (close, but not exact). Shutter speed can be one stop faster. 200mm f/2.8 is on APS-C is similar in reach and DoF as full frame 300mm f/4. That's a benefit for action and long medium range sports shorts. To shoot the same shutter speed in full frame, the lens alone costs $4000 more and adds 5 lbs of glass. (Consider, though, the full frame picture quality at slightly higher ISO would give similar quality as the APS-C).<br /><br />So,... it depends, you see, on budget and appetite. You won't notice much in most of your shooting, but there will be times when a little longer, or wider, or shallower is what you really want. But mostly, it doesn't matter.... it costs big money to cover those rarely visited corner cases and we've all learned to do without.</p>

<p>Hello Ling<br>

Best bang for the buck. I used a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 on my 30D for years and it was great. sharp edge to edge and on 30D was just as sharp for half the price of a Canon 24-70 F2.8 I.<br>

However, that all changed when I went full frame. For a Canon 5D II and espeacially a Canon 5D III, I would prefer to have the 24-70 F2.8 II because the camera body has such high resolution it shows the weakness in the lens more.<br>

I always knew I was going to upgrade my 30D to a full frame camera so I didn't invest in any EFS lenses. Since i don't make a lot of money from photography I tool a more cost effective approach and purchased the Tamrom 24-70 F2.8 VR which I absolutely love. However, I have no doubts the Canon 24-70 F2.8 II is the referrence lens for 2013 for those who have that kind of money to spend.</p>