Crossprocessing is flatulence in a cup..

The last year ive been crossprocessing different slidefilms. agfa prcisa 100, velvia 50, provia 400x, provia 100f, kodak e 100g. I was

really going for all the colorfull looks that are posted on the internet when i googeld one of these filmsand crossprocessing. I soon learned

that when letting the scanner software ( i use vuescan) determine the scan it is really no problem getting all sorts of color because now its

digital and not so much analog when in the scanning process. Soi guess this is not the true corssprocessed negative right? Then i slowly

began adapting the real and true process by setting the scanner software to none color management , importing it in to photoshop and

inverting the negative . When this is done youve got the real true result of the crosprocessing and this is my point all turn out green and

cyan. Provia 400 x a littel more bluish. playing around with levels can get you another result. So my question is:why all this hype about

analog crossprocessing when they all turn out this way ( i know velvia 100 gets more redish) . And why all these fake discriptions on

these different films getting nice nice funky colors when getting crossprocessed when it is the scanner software. Just try ex. Googeling

crossprocessed kodak e100g...or one of the others..

I tried cross processing legitimately about 15 years ago but gave up because the effects were too various and out of

control. I would take the best straight images I could and process as you wish in photoshop. I always rely on photoshop

for post, do my best to get the image and manipulate from there. That way I don't have any surprises:) Well I do, always,

but that's another story...

You CAN be organic in photoshop, for sure. Simple adjustment and mask layers with opacity are usually all you need.

That and a PSB file and big hard drive for all the layers you may make. It's organic. Crop first, set to Adobe or Pro colour

space, get youR file size right, ie 300 dpi at whatever print dimensions ( for me), and THEN make you layer changes.

<p>Years ago when people hand printed cross processed slide films onto color paper they adjusted the color balance to get the look they wanted at the time of printing. If you used the same color filtration setting at the enlarging stage then you would get different color balance on the prints depending on the film used. I guess the correct way would be to shoot a grey card on adjust so the grey card is neutral than you can see how the cross processing affects other colors. The cross processed slide films are also much more contrasty than a regular color negative so the prints would tend to be quite high contrast. We often would over expose by about 2 stops if we intended to cross process. Today you can do most of the color effects in photoshop or effects software like snapseed or DXO film effects.</p>

Thanks for your replies. I guess that color filtering then is just the same as using photoshop today... Colorbalance, levels,

curves or what ever one prefers... And to bill ...yes....your right. And to shawn .. I kind of got tired of digital thinking i could

get more interesting images by shooting analoge .... But now i really dont know if its all that trouble worth. :-)

<p>I still like to cross process my slide films. The problem is there is no where to get real slides done anymore and I do like the funky looks I get from cross processing. I have not always gotten the green tint everyone mentions. I have gotten yellows and strong blues from cross processing tungsten film shot in daylight with no correction filter. I will continue to cross process slide films for some of those reasons alone.</p>

<p>Try looking for Fuji Tungsten Film. There should still be some around. If not. Try Unique photo in Fairfield, N.J. That is where I got mine from. I have not cross processed that one yet. I still have some in the camera. I have tried the kodak though. Very nice blues. Try APUG.org as well. I found kodak Black and white HIE infrared film a few years back that someone was selling.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I don't agree! I've had such a variety of results from cross processing many slide films (not all good obviously, but more good than bad I think).<br /> I haven't updated my flickr for a while, but <a href=" Flickr Search of these shots</a> are xpro with no adjustment when scanned:<br /><br /> Each to their own though :)</p>