Canon 50D vs. Canon 7D

meylin_bayryamali

<p>Hi! I am in a "crossroad" now... I own Canon 50D which I LOVE. However I started film school and now I need a camera that makes videos as well. (If I buy special video camera it will cost me too much). I want to be something combinative with photography and video. I fall in love with Canon 7D when I read that the Black Swan the dancing repetition scenes were filmed with Canon 7D. Basically my question is not that much wether to sell my Canon 50d and buy the 7d but do you know a good photo-video camera from the canon series or 7D is the best one? I would be very glad if you share your opinion.</p>

<p>The 60D is a pretty good deal right now. You can pick up a brand new one for around $660 and a refurbished one for around $585. It has a fold out screen too, which is useful. It shoots HD 1080 30/24/24, can take an external microphone and has an option for manually setting the audio level.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would not buy a 7D right now unless doing so is an absolute necessity: it should be replaced in the coming months.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's a possibility, but it's surely not a certainty. I know someone who has been waiting for <em>seven years </em>for the "just-round-the-corner", "must-be-this-year" 100-400mm replacement.</p>

<p>Any camera in the hand is a better camera than one that doesn't even exist yet.</p>

<p>I used a 7D to shoot video for 2 years as well as the 5DMKII. From a pure video standpoint, I found that the 7D was much more forgiving and user-friendly than the 5DMKII (under the conditions I faced and shooting with an 85 mm 1.2L). The main advantages included:<br /><br />1. Less error-prone DOF. The MKII often yielded paper-thin DOF that was hard to fully appreciate in the LCD, even with a Zaccuto rig. 2. A dedicated video/live view button. 3. Overcrank (60 fps) capability. <br /><br />Since Canon is about to upgrade the 7D with a new model, you should be able to get one used or refurbished at a very deep discount. I sold mine privately for $950 a few months ago, but seriously doubt I'd get more than $700 for it today. It's a great camera and worth every penny of that price. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The film producers shooting on 5Ds and 7Ds use a lot of other equipment like steadycams, boom mics video lights and sophisticated video production to achieve these professional results. You wont get pro results using a DSLR alone.<br /> As a basic and affordable kit; I use a Hoodman lupe which fits over the LCD screen and attaches to the hotshoe. With an external mic. portable video light, shoulder support; monopod or tripod; this works very well for simple video. IS lenses will help with stablity.<br /> Ive used a 5D2 and 60D which are very good cameras for stills and videos. The 5D2 has the edge in low light; but the fixed LCD, like the 7D, is not good for stable videos as one has to hold it away from your body.<br /> The 60D with the swiveling screen is a lot better for video and there is virtually no difference in IQ to the 7D; so unless you need a fast frame rate or focusing for sport a 60D would be better all round. A few hundred $ spent on accessories will be money well spent.</p>