Bridge for Tanzanian safari

bernard_marquis

<p>My wife and I will visit Tanzania next spring for a ten day photo safari. My wife, who is not a photographer, does not want to carry and use a DSLR and a big zoom lens (read Nikon 80-400 or 200-400). She would rather use a bridge camera with a big zoom. I am presently looking at the Panasonic DMC-FZ200 for her.<br>

However, I have read all the posts which deal with dust and I am a bit worried about this camera and the possibility of getting sand or dust which could seize the zoom and render the camera unusable.</p>

<p>Would you recommend this camera or another bridge super-zoom for a trip of this nature and if not, what would you recommend?</p>

<p>A much earlier Panasonic, the DMC-FZ20, was my first digital camera, and I liked it very much for a digital P&S of that era, but I didn't encounter dusty conditions during the time I used it. A couple of years ago, as we planned a trip to an area near a volcano that was spewing so much ash that it interfered with air travel, I bought a little waterproof camera. It resisted the ash but was otherwise disappointing, designed for use in the water. There are better ones, I think: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842478-REG/Pentax_15471_Optio_WG_2_Digital_Camera.html</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd get the FZ200, it seems excellent, and cover it with a plastic bag when not in use. Some people use a plastic bag to protect a camera during shooting, but that depends on being able to fit a front filter that protects the lens and holds the bag, but I don't know if the FZ200 has filter threads in the front.</p>

<p>Sony NEX-7 with the full size version of 18-200 SEL lens, (67 mm filter size).<br /> <br /> Your DMC-FZ200 lens is only 108 mm long at the fully extended zoom range.<br /> With greater pixel count and ability to crop from NEX7 and the 200 mm reach, you will get better close ups than the 108mm lens (thinks it is a 600 mm lens). Not to mention overall picture quality difference from huge sensor in comparison.</p>

<p>There are 2 versions of Sony SEL 18-200 lens, one is smaller (LE) version and cheaper, but it lacks one of active image stabilization modes, that could be useful for Safari type shooting from a moving vehicle, or for video.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Have you considered Nikon 1 series (e.g. J2)?<br>

It's actually much smaller than the Panasonic FZ200 and has excellent focusing capabilities, which will come in quite handy on safari.<br>

While the image quality is not the best, it's probably still a notch or two better than the FZ200's<br>

Nikon's 30-110mm lens gets you to 300mm equivalent, which should be all right for casual safari shooting.<br>

Note: If you really wanted to, you could use any other Nikon lens with an adapter which - taking into account the x2.7 crop factor - could easily get you into the 800mm quivalent reach zone with something like Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6 VR. The latter will give you a less compact package, but still very manageable, mind you, AND who else can boast a 800mm f/5.6 with VR for around $1K?<br>

Take a look at the camera size comparison at:<br>

http://camerasize.com/compare/#349,124</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

<p>What a silly, awful thing to suggest.</p>

<p>Having been to Tanzania and Kenya safaris, I can understand why Bernard's wife would rather carry a regular camera. I think she would prefer to enjoy the beautiful, incredible, experience than worrying about getting the best wildlife images. After all, her husband would get the super shots.</p>

<p>Have you ever taken the time to smell the flowers, Arthur?</p>

<p> </p>