'Look' of Nano/G-lenses on film?

sunray1

<p>Hi there,<br /> After shooting my Nikon dSLR's (D700, D2H) for some time now, I recently rediscovered film and enjoy my F3 and F100 VERY much! For B&W I shoot Agfa APX100 and for color I like Ektar 100 a lot.<br /><br />I have some nice AF-D lenses (20, 35, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 180, 20-35, 80-200) and now I was wondering if any of you have experience with the modern G-lenses on film. I know the old D lenses in some cases don't behave exactly the same on digital like they did on film and I was wondering how that is the other way around?<br />I'm not so much looking for info on the 'technical' aspects (compatibility, functionality, sharpness, vignetting, distortion, CA etc.), as well as differences in rendering, in 'look' and how you'd describe those differences. Maybe some sample pics?<br /><br />Do you think it is worthwile to upgrade D to G lenses to get the maximum out of modern film emulsions like Ektar? <br />I already am sometimes contemplating to replace my 35 2.0 and 85 1.4 with the modern AFS/G versions but now I shoot film again I definitely want to have lenses that render/'look' well on film too! Especially on a film like Ektar.<br /> <br />Thanks for sharing your experiences!<br />Ray</p>

With Ektar, you're going to be doing some color correction no matter what (even if you don't notice and its being done by

the software) so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I don't know about the newer 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 G's but I can tell you that

both the 50s and the 85/1.8 are excellent on the F100. So is the 70-300 - the F100 does both AFS and VR. I've shot

Ektar, Reala and old and new Portras with these lenses and they perform admirably. Of course, none of these lenses are

usable on the F3. For that, get an AIS prime or two and you're good to go.

I don't think you are going to see much difference with D or G on film, but nano coating in general is more resistant to

flares. The 'look' you're looking for varies more from what type of film you use than D vs. G lens.

If you like Ektar, you will probably like Velvia 50. Very unforgiving film, but when you nail the exposure, you will be

rewarded with stunning pictures. D800 started me on digital side, but my F100 is always loaded with Velvia, ready to go.

<p>Thanx guys, good to know that D or G, either way seems to work fine also on film.<br />I know and love Velvia, but the cost of the film and processing is pretty steep nowadays... :-(<br /><br />Btw I do have some nice Ai primes for the F3 (28 3.5, 50 2.0, 55 3.5, 85 2.0), was just looking for opinions on G lenses for the F100.</p>