Developer for original FP4 (non +) film

adam_m4

<p>So I happened upon a guy who's kept a large batch of original FP4 (non plus) in a freezer since the late 80's. Here's to hoping the film is still good. ( =<br>

<br />The data sheet says I can use Perceptol, Ilfosol 2, ID-11 and Microphen for development. In the interest of saving time, I like that Ilfosol 2 is the quickest. Of course, Ilfosol 3 is what's available today.<br>

So, has anyone tried Ilfosol 3 on old FP4? If so, what kind of success did you have? </p>

<p>I'm not sure about the recent Ilfosol, but Ilfosol-S was prone to deliver foggy negatives with anything other than fresh, slow speed film, despite the inclusion of a restrainer. Check the ingredients for whichever version of Ilfosol you plan to use to see if it contains benzotriazole. If so, it's probably included because the developer needs it to minimize fogging.</p>

<p>Some folks report Microphen leads to high fog negs but my experience has been the opposite. I've been pleased with how well it's worked with older film and pushing high speed film.</p>

<p>HC-110 may also be a safe bet. No idea about Perceptol, never tried it with old film.</p>

<p>Thanks for the benzotriazole. I will look for it. The data sheet has Microphen listed for use when pushing, so I might give it a shot when I have that need. For the most part, I think I will be shooting at box speed. </p>

<p>I understand ID-11 is still in common use, so I'll have to look into that as well.</p>