24-70 or 50 mm

guy_mercier

<p>Hi !</p>

<p>I have a Canon 5d 3 and am thinking of buying a new lens for my trip. I already have the 14 mm and 85 mm but am looking for something in between.</p>

<p>I am hesitating between the 24-70 or 50 mm. I like to take lanscapes and portraits.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I'd definitely go for the 24-70. This zoom will add valuable flexibility to your kit and the Canon one is a superb lens in all aspects.</p>

<p>Actually if you find yourself doing more landscapes I'd also consider adding a wide-angle zoom such as the 16-35mm or 17-40mm, perhaps trade the 14mm for it.</p>

<p>My understanding (and experience - though limited) is that is excellent. It is not <em>quite</em> as good as the 24-70/2.8 mk2, but better than the mk1, optically speaking (at least better than <em>my</em> mk1, which I have never been dissatisfied with). The addition of the VC makes it a bit more versatile as well, and for travel shooting, you often are very limited by the environmental conditions.</p>

<p>Both are as good as the EF 50/1.4 (other than speed of course - through similar apertures), and significantly better than it when it is anywhere near WO.</p>

<p>My understanding (and experience - though limited) is that is excellent. It is not <em>quite</em> as good as the 24-70/2.8 mk2, but better than the mk1, optically speaking (at least better than <em>my</em> mk1, which I have never been dissatisfied with). The addition of the VC makes it a bit more versatile as well, and for travel shooting, you often are very limited by the environmental conditions.</p>

<p>Both are as good as the EF 50/1.4 (other than speed of course - through similar apertures), and significantly better than it when it is anywhere near WO.</p>

<p>Guy, there's the 50mm f/1.8, f/1.4, and f/1.2. You should specify which one you're considering.</p>

<p>Personally, I'd go with a zoom for a trip. Unless the trip is "about" photography, you might enjoy it more with a lighter and smaller kit, and a zoom goes a long way in that direction.</p>

<p>With the money you would save by NOT getting the Canon 24-70 F2.8 II you could by BOTH the Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC and the Canon 50 1.8. This is what I use and I am quite happy with the pair. Thier are times when I want to shoot at night or want to be more descrete and don't want to go out with a big ole 24-70 F2.8.<br>

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II and althougth I do have lots of primes including the 85 1.2L, 50 1.8, 28 1.8 none of these get as much use as my Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VC and Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6 VC great pair.<br>

Here are samples of their quality <a href="http://patrickwheaton.com/windmills">http://patrickwheaton.com/windmills</a><br>

It's not the lens or the camera that makes good photos its the photographer. There is really no comparison between the wide usage of a zoom and the very specific usage of a prime.</p>

Can't wait to hear what you think about it? I have been extremely happy with mine. Sure if I were making lots of money

from photography I would buy l-series but as this is just a hobby for my own personal amusement the Tamron pair is way

beyond good enough.

Ps - once you see how good the vc is, for $399 you will also absolutely love the Tamron 70-300 vc. I own l-series lenses

too but just can't believe how good the Tamron vc is for such a low price. The sharpness a low shutter speeds especially

of eyes really stands out. I caught a seagull in flight and the photo was so sharp I could clearly see the birds pupil...