buying on ebay question

richard_thorne

<p>OK, so how can I tell if I've bought 2nd Hand Grey ? Can I ask Nikon?</p>

<p>So, back to an unanswered bit...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I assume all items must be legitimate <em><strong>somewhere,</strong></em> even if they've been imported wrongly?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I guess that was a wrong assumption....No? </p>

<p>Mike: I think everything is 'ligit' in Hong Kong ... its a great trip ... the photography, and the shopping are just great... There is a message here "KISS". If you are here, buy here. The grey market 'savings' are not really worth it. BTW, just heard back from the friend ... he had a mirror issue, got it repaired in Canada on a trip ... at an independent repair facility ...he offered check, credit card, or cash. They took the cash, and he got his camera back in 2 days. He only buys USA now, even though he is a 'frequent-flyer' in duty-free areas.</p>

<p>Folks, it rally is not that complicated. Nikon USA is happy to fix your Nikon gear if you are paying them to do so. Their repair cost is not particularly cheap; that is why I sometimes prefer to use Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago area.</p>

<p>However, while Nikon USA makes a fair amount of money from camera repairs, their main income is from selling cameras. Gray-market imports hurt their main business, big time, and that is why they are hostile to it. Making it difficult to get gray-market products repaired is Nikon USA's tactic to scare people from buying them. As Henry Posner from B&H points out, not selling parts to small repair shops is also part of Nikon USA's strategy to discourage gray-market products: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ZsoC<br>

B&H is, of course, a major source of gray-market Nikon products in the US.</p>

<p>I contacted Nikon USA before, I am outside of the USA. They said that if the device is not from the USA you would need the original invoice and the warranty card before you can pay for repair. Not sure about grey stuff, they don't have warranty cards.</p>

<p>Re: HKG, the warranty isn't free worldwide. Either send it back to HKG and pay return postal or get it serviced locally and pay yourself.</p>

<p>In some other countries like mine, you don't need the original receipt, you prepay the inspection fee, Nikon in NZ isn't free for inspection. They give you an estimate you pay that with the 2nd payment. They do give you a discounted inspection fee, so free inspection should you go thru with the repair.</p>

<p>Much of this raises the question, just a little, as Mike said ... what is 'grey'? Bear with me here ...I can't resist this. We know USA, then, is not 'grey'. Is everything outside USA ...'grey' ...In the UK or EU ... is their 'grey', USA? Is this 'grey' even a ' black-and-white' question anyway? Or is it ... 50 Shades of Grey? I say .... hope it's a gentle, and fun, click on the shutter, here ... rather than a provocative in any way! Cheers.</p>