D7000 Vello Grip

gej_jones

<p>I purchased a Vello Grip for my D7000. In the camera menu I set the battery order to use the grip (MB-D11) first. Both batteries are Nikon EN-EL15. Until recently I never ran the grip battery so low that it would switch to the camera battery. I was on a shoot and the grip battery got so low that the shutter froze. I was under the impression that once the grip battery got low, the camera would automatically switch from the grip battery to the camera battery. Does this sound normal? Am I not doing something or missing something?</p>

<p>Thanks.... I've contacted B&H and they will back the product. I had hoped someone knew of a second setting in the menu that I was missing. The Vello grip I had for my D90 was outstanding and I expect that I will be pleased with the replacement for the D7000. If someone knows of an error on my part, please let me know!<br>

Thanks!!!</p>

<p>I have been thinking of getting the MB-D15 for the D7100, they use the same Lion battery<br>

as the camera body or a 6 cell holder. From what I read you can choose which battery<br>

powers the body first before switchover. Makes sense for me to use the grip power up first<br>

then you can pull off the grip or remove the spent cell to lighten your load. From what I read<br>

the two batteries should power 1900 exposures, less of course if you use monitor or pop up flash.</p>

• 7 months later...
<p>I know this is an older thread. But I am having exactly the same problem with my Vello grip on my D7000, and a google search brought me to this thread.<br /> So, Greg, did you figure out what the problem was? How did you fix it? I have the same problem where, once the battery in the Vello grip is depleted, the camera does not seem to automatically switch to the in-camera battery which is still full. Would greatly appreciate if you could provide a hint as to what may be wrong...<br /> Thanks...</p>